My first Osprey - C&C welcome

BrentC

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Yesterday I had my first chance at capturing an Osprey. Had to deal with two not so great lighting conditions. When I first got there mid-morning it was completely overcast and took quite a few shots. After walking around for 2 hours all the grey clouds went away and we had a beautiful clear blue sky. Unfortunately it was high noon with a harsh sun but went back to the nest to take some more shots.

With the overcast images should I leave as is or bring back blue sky in PP? I think I like leaving the overcast sky, it also shows accurately what the day was like.

Any other C&C is welcome. Here are some shot from both overcast and sunny.

Osprey by Brent Cameron, on Flickr

Nice set just as a heads up with the osprey a tiny watch your back as you are walking away from the nest as they will come in for the attack from behind one of them tried it with us but i turned around when i saw it coming towards us

Very Nice Set. I agree with Zombie, I been shooting a pair of Osprey for the last couple of months and had the female on a few occasions swoop behind me pretty low until I turned facing her she went up higher but looking straight down as if I am going to get ya. This is pretty commonsense stuff but if you think you might be on the receiving end of the talons, tuck your chin in your chest and cover your neck, face with arms, hands and elbows. Osprey will open you up easily.

Nice set just as a heads up with the osprey a tiny watch your back as you are walking away from the nest as they will come in for the attack from behind one of them tried it with us but i turned around when i saw it coming towards us

Very Nice Set. I agree with Zombie, I been shooting a pair of Osprey for the last couple of months and had the female on a few occasions swoop behind me pretty low until I turned facing her she went up higher but looking straight down as if I am going to get ya. This is pretty commonsense stuff but if you think you might be on the receiving end of the talons, tuck your chin in your chest and cover your neck, face with arms, hands and elbows. Osprey will open you up easily.

Thanks for that info guys, I'll be careful to watch out for that next time. It was interesting how active they were. Both of them were almost constantly in the air. I wanted to get some shots of them perched on the platform but when ever I started getting close they just went into the air. Maybe because there were young in the nest?

Great shots for first Osprey.

I don't think you should force the sky from overcast to bluish ... possibly greyish ?

We used to hang out a lot at Tiny Marsh many years ago (back in the film days) ... from what I remember there were at least two Osprey platforms.
Where are they now ?

Last edited:
Great shots for first Osprey.

I don't think you should force the sky from overcast to bluish ... possibly greyish ?

We used to hang out a lot at Tiny Marsh many years ago (back in the film days) ... from what I remember there were at least two Osprey platforms.
Where are they now ?

Thank you. I am going to go back some day and try to get them very early in the morning just after sunrise.

I only know of the one platform. The Zombie clan can probably say whether there is a second platform in another location. The one I was at is in the second entrance, straight down the causeway at the end.

I kinda like the overcast shots better than the blue sky...I like the monochrome-type feel they have. If anything, maybe try bringing out a bit of grey like Dennis said.

But all nice shots either way, bravo!

I kinda like the overcast shots better than the blue sky...I like the monochrome-type feel they have. If anything, maybe try bringing out a bit of grey like Dennis said.

But all nice shots either way, bravo!

Thanks! I have a ton more shots so sometime in the future I'll edit them and bring out the grey more.

Great set.
Not much for CC on the settings. Looked at the settings and they all seemed reasonable for the conditions.

from what I remember there were at least two Osprey platforms.

There is one box on the main trail (road) that crosses the marsh. There was a second box on the west side but it got taken down a few years ago and hasn't been rebuilt yet.

Great set, apparently we have a couple around here, but I've never seen them.

Osprey in CT has bloomed big time they are everywhere.Nest on platforms,utilily poles and cell towers.

This are Awesome Brent! I would say it's up to you? I think they look good as they are, but pulling the blue back and seeing what you think.

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Big huge congrats on your first! Wait till you get to see them hitting the water and you see that spiraling dive. Great job!

Most reactions

Back