First photo post. C&C Welcome.

MacDuff

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everybody! I just joined up a few days ago, so I figured I'd go ahead and post some of my black and whites, seeing as I love B&W photography. Anyway, please comment as you see necessary! It's been a while since the last time I've taken any pictures due to the lack of a decent camera. Now that I finally have a DSLR I can go out and shoot whenever I want. These were taken with my Nikon D40x just after Christmas. All the pictures but the bricks, railing, and blinds were taken in Greenville, SC. Thanks for your time!

ReedyRiverBW.jpg

Root.jpg

BuildingBW2.jpg

RailingFinal.jpg

BricksFinal.jpg

BlindsBWFinal.jpg

Roots2Final.jpg

-Harry

Nice pictures! I really like the first one, what a great view! I love how you softened the waterfalls...

Thanks man! But actually, the only editing I did was to convert it from full color to black and white with a gradient map, darken the edges, and slightly adjust the curves to bring out more of the contrast. I also put a high pass layer on overlay to help add a bit more depth to it.

-Harry

I like the first one, but it doesn't feel right. While I am not a big fan of the "horizontal needs to be perfect" crowd, it is just too tilted for me.

The trees are the best. Just amazing. I don't care for the vignette on the last shot but I do like it on the second.

The rest of the photographs are not really doing it for me, sorry.

I think you did a good job of converting in pp, however, your highlights are not strong enough on the tree shots. Boost them up a bit and I believe we have some winners!

-Nick

Thanks for the comments! The reason the first picture is tilted so much is because I don't have a tripod yet, and I had to hold the camera down on the railing of the bridge I was on and it kinda threw off the angles a bit. I should have corrected that in PS but I guess it slipped my mind. I do love that tree though, its one of the coolest things I've ever seen, but I'll play around in PS with the highlights and see where that takes me. The rest were just kinda messing around with perspectives, and were just quick snapshots. Especially the one of the building because I was in the car leaving the city at the time. Thanks again!

-Harry

Thanks for the comments! The reason the first picture is tilted so much is because I don't have a tripod yet, and I had to hold the camera down on the railing of the bridge I was on and it kinda threw off the angles a bit. ...-Harry

In this case, great job! You saw a way to fix a problem instead of settling. This is fantastic. Who cares if you forgot to fix it. As long as you realized there would be a problem using the camera handheld and improvised, I say :thumbup: !

-Nick

Yeah, they say necessity is the mother of invention... Well I say being broke is the mother of improvisation. lol Thanks again!

I see you're from Chicago as well. Whereabouts are you located? I grew up in the western suburbs about half an hour outside the city in the Downers Grove/Westmont area. But 3 and a half years ago my family and I moved to South Carolina, and I would love to go back downtown and shoot some pictures one of these days. Who knows when that'll be though... Could be a while.

-Harry

Last edited:
Yeah, they say necessity is the mother of invention... Well I say being broke is the mother of improvisation. lol Thanks again!

I see you're from Chicago as well. Whereabouts are you located? I grew up in the western suburbs about half an hour outside the city in the Downers Grove/Westmont area. But 3 and a half years ago my family and I moved to South Carolina, and I would love to go back downtown and shoot some pictures one of these days. Who knows when that'll be though... Could be a while.

-Harry

Well Harry I am from all over. Currently I live in Elmhurst area. I have shot all over the world, yet Chicago is still my favorite city to shoot. I love this city and no matter where I go, this will always be home.

See you around the forum Harry!

-Nick

Most reactions

New Topics

Back