By model, do you mean first time shooting with a human subject? Or do you mean he is/thinks he is/wants to be a real model? If the latter is the case, he really needs to works on his expressions ans posing. I think most of what you did is pretty good. I could nitpick about busy background and cut off feet if I wanted to, but the prevailing problem in all of these picture is the model. Posing is an intersting thing. When working with regular people, I think it's almost entirely up to the photog to handle correct posing, but when working with talent, they should really have that stuff down. It's up to the photog to decide what the poses should be, but the talent should know how to make them look good without much direction. What makes a good model is the ability to look natural while in a pose. When most people just look 'normal' it doesn't actually look very good, like the guy in your images. Despite the fact that it's very convincingly natural looking, the poses just don't look good. But these these same regular people when you try to pose them too much, it starts too look unnatural and forced. The tlent of a true model is the ability to be in a pose that is well thought out and perfected, while looking completely natural, like thta's how they just happened to sit down, or thta's how they just happened to lean against a wall.