First photos on the first nice day of spring

rooster14

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
these are some shots i took today, all of these have no PP (except the first one) as of yet, im open to suggestions.
crossroads.jpg

powerlines03152009.jpg

powerlines2unedited.jpg

carunedited.jpg

For 2 and 3 i am slightly upset about the glare from the dead corn stalks on the ground, i dont know if there is really any way to control this or not.
for number 4 i was curious if there is any way to control, minimize the flares that are hitting the car or is this just how the light fell?
Thanks, I am really trying to get better at this stuff haha.

Composition seems fine, but there seems to be some serious white balance issues in play.

#2 is so severely underexposed that I couldn't tell there was anything on the ground, much less things producing glare.

I also agree -- there is some bizarre white-balance here. Many of the shots are extremely blue or blue-grey, which may be a result of your camera disliking the direct sunlight (as in, the sun shining directly into the lens).

Yeah big time white balance issues with these shots. Always check the white balance as you are shooting. I always do a test shot or two in the lighting that I am in to make sure I have the right white balance.

I checked your exif, it says you have the WB on manual? I don't have a Nikon but I would suggest for starters you might want to throw that over to automatic. Most of the time it's going to come out pretty close unless you have a weird lighting situation, and if you need to fine tune it later there is a lot less to fix.

personally, I like the glare on the car. It makes it look newer/shinier/more photogenic.

I checked your exif, it says you have the WB on manual? I don't have a Nikon but I would suggest for starters you might want to throw that over to automatic. Most of the time it's going to come out pretty close unless you have a weird lighting situation, and if you need to fine tune it later there is a lot less to fix.
how did you check my exif file? im very curious as to how to look at other people's.

secondly, i am trying really hard to learn to set white balance manually so i develop a much clearer understanding of how to use it... i am working diligently to try to develop an understanding of all the features on how to put together a photo with all of it being at my discretion. But i agree that i think i will muck around trying to set it manually and take photos on WB auto as well.

The glare on the car, I like it too, but the photos look to dark to me. Maybe you should play with the brightness in a photo editing software.

White balance is one of those things that modern cameras do pretty well for themselves -- I always leave mine on automatic, unless I change to one of the other specific modes (like shadow, sunlight, etc.). I'd say that the best choice is to leave it on auto until you are at the point where you can worry about smaller details like white balance.

how did you check my exif file? im very curious as to how to look at other people's.

secondly, i am trying really hard to learn to set white balance manually so i develop a much clearer understanding of how to use it... i am working diligently to try to develop an understanding of all the features on how to put together a photo with all of it being at my discretion. But i agree that i think i will muck around trying to set it manually and take photos on WB auto as well.

I'm not sure what browser you are using, but I use Firefox and have this add on:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3905

There are other programs out there that are not specific to the browser.

WB, I think, is one of the easiest problems to fix, I'd much rather work on DOF, shutter, etc. That's just my opinion though.

They are all underexposed and dont really have any interesting subject matter. Try working with composition a bit and learn how to measure the exposure.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back