First Picture for C&C

Mauravdl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I got my new Rebel XS yesterday and went out wandering around my yard today to see what I could try taking pictures of. Being a complete noob, I started by playing with the preset modes to see what they did.

I sorta like this one. No PP done, just off the camera (PS is still downloading). I'm thinking I need to blurr out the background more, at least. Any other sage advice?

I did discover its very hard to break my habit of wanting to center things in the frame.

Rebel XS, kit lens set on close-up mode.

IMG_0013.jpg

Nicely done!

Blurring the background would help, use a wider aperture next time and it will throw the background out of focus and isolate the subject. Also it seems like the main subject is a little blurry? Maybe my eyes are deceiving me...wouldnt be the first time.

Like you said, break your habit of wanting to center things in the frame, read around the net, there are a ton of articles on basic composition. Other than those two things, nice work you're off to a good start!

I'm thinking I need to blurr out the background more, at least. Any other sage advice?
Try to get into the habit of moving around while you view the subject through the viewfinder. This is a nice shot...but if you took a step or two to the left you may have placed the subject in front of that dark area to the right and got rid of the busy background.

When you find a subject to take a picture of go ahead and take a shot. Then move around the subject to see if you can get a better shot...look at it from different angles and heights. Get closer. Step back. Look for the shot that doesn't look like all the other shots of the same subject you've seen over and over again.

Be aware of which direction the light is coming from. Be aware of the negative/empty spaces around the subject. Watch your backgrounds.

Thanks for the feedback!

I did move around it a bit - the dark area is actually another tree that wasn't currently in the sunshine but when I moved to put it as background, some other misc twigs and stuff got in the way. Plus it would put my in the middle of a very prickly holly tree :)

I have noticed that I have a tendency to sort of accept the visual however I first see it. I went out and played some more with moving around, changing my own height and looking up and down more.

I see now what people mean by learning by doing :)

Thanks again!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back