First pictures, taken with a loaned XTi+Canon50mm 1.8

Fedaykin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
hebercollphotography.wordpress.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just messing around with the camera getting familiar with it before I use it tomorrow to help out my sister with a wedding.

Disclaimer: I know these suck. I think the EXIF data isn't there, I used DigiKam(Linux) to convert from RAW to PNG and resize; so sorry if the EXIF doesn't show up. These were shot inside my house in the evening, so they were taken with high ISO and slow shutter speeds with the lens wide open. C&C welcome, these are mostly just snapshots, was trying out all the camera's setting to get familiar with them.

Thanks for looking :D

Liked the color on this thing, it's different fabrics. And yes I know the WB sucks, under one tungsten light.
4527296750_d92d571bb3_o.png

My dog.
4527296748_c7f9e565f2_o.png

My other dog. Focus was a little off, damn.
4527296738_6a903a5e13_b.jpg

Dusty light bulb, only lighting was the one behind it.
4527296746_0df3715411_b.jpg

Ok... first off. These don't suck, at all. #1 and #4 are very artistic and the shallow depth works well for them. I really really like both of them. On #1 I'd crop some of the left side off and place the focal point in 1/3 of the way horizontally in the image.

#2 another really nice picture but I think it would be better with a deeper depth of focus, narrower aperture.

#3 well.. like you said, out of focus. Happens to me more often than not. Kick yourself in the pants, delete it, try again.

Good luck with the wedding. You seem to have a pretty good eye, don't be afraid to close the aperture a bit. I'd just worry about good composition and shoot in raw in case you goof the exposures a little.

Ok... first off. These don't suck, at all. #1 and #4 are very artistic and the shallow depth works well for them. I really really like both of them. On #1 I'd crop some of the left side off and place the focal point in 1/3 of the way horizontally in the image.

#2 another really nice picture but I think it would be better with a deeper depth of focus, narrower aperture.

#3 well.. like you said, out of focus. Happens to me more often than not. Kick yourself in the pants, delete it, try again.

Good luck with the wedding. You seem to have a pretty good eye, don't be afraid to close the aperture a bit. I'd just worry about good composition and shoot in raw in case you goof the exposures a little.

Wow, thanks! I agree on the crop on #1. I was shooting wide open because of the low light, but yes I agree about #2. #3 I was using Manual Focus cuz One Shot AF wasn't letting me take the shot(kept focusing to either the nearest or the farthest point, maybe because of the low light?), screwed that up haha.

Thanks man, that was actually what my sister said after the first time I helped her out, that I had a good eye. I really appreciate the feedback, best motivation there is :)

Agree with what reznap said. Not bad shots overall though, once you get the hang of the camera you'll be able to have some fun :]

Agree with what reznap said. Not bad shots overall though, once you get the hang of the camera you'll be able to have some fun :]

Controls are simple enough, plus it helps to know what they all mean. Mainly I just want to not have to think about how to change settings when I'm shooting tomorrow at the wedding. I'm already having fun!

Thanks for the comment.

#1... well, there is nothing to it. Not enough in focus. TBH nobody wants to see "trying out DoF" shots because DoF is not news to us.

#2 should have been stopped down a bit more. Not enough in focus, but good picture otherwise. His ear and paw are a bit cropped.

#3 the flash ruins his eyes (cloudy looking). Focus is off a bit, or motion blur. I like the background and pose, but perhaps it would have worked better not holding the camera portrait.

#4 I like. It looks very unique, with the dusty bulb. Don't know what to add.

#1... well, there is nothing to it. Not enough in focus. TBH nobody wants to see "trying out DoF" shots because DoF is not news to us.

#2 should have been stopped down a bit more. Not enough in focus, but good picture otherwise. His ear and paw are a bit cropped.

#3 the flash ruins his eyes (cloudy looking). Focus is off a bit, or motion blur. I like the background and pose, but perhaps it would have worked better not holding the camera portrait.

#4 I like. It looks very unique, with the dusty bulb. Don't know what to add.

Yeah I know you're all tired of 'Trying DoF' haha, sorry bout' that.

#2 that was as far back as I could take the camera(50mm lens on a 1.6 crop body), he was on my waist as you can see so sadly his paw and ear were cropped. And yes I agree about the aperture.

#3 There wasn't any flash actually(pop up flash mechanism is broken, plus I don't ever want to have to use it anyways), that's the window behind me, the sun was kinda low so the light was kinda harsh; she's sitting on the headrest of the sofa I'm sitting on.

#4 Thanks, this is my favorite.

Thanks a lot for the feedback!

So what you're saying is, only post stuff here that's going to interest the community?

I disagree. DOF represents a rather large artistic value in many photographer's style. Good "DOF" shots are just as important as good "lighting" shots.
I may be tired of seeing (for example) flower shots...but I would not assume that I could speak for everyone by stating that "nobody wants to see them" or that they are "not news to us". That may be your opinion, but not mine and I'm sure not the opinion of many others on this site.

You have some hairy legs!

But cute pups! :lol:

So what you're saying is, only post stuff here that's going to interest the community?

Haha this could get interesting.

But cute pups! :lol:

haha yeah I don't believe in guys shaving their legs.
Haha yeah I don't believe in guys shaving their legs.
I think mine are worse... :oops:

Don't be ashamed, be a manly man!

What I'm saying is that just using F/1.8 doesn't make any picture magically artistic. The subject and lighting aren't that great anyways.

i think the bokeh is nice too
not pixelated, it is soft and continuous

first one is great!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back