First portrait attempts

chito beach

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.chitobeach.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well Ive been putting together a simple speedlite studio setup that can be totally portable everything fits into a single 20" x 50" duffel bag. I have several inexpensive camera flashes and wireless trigger kit from eBay.

The basic setup. collapsable 18" softbox, several shoot through 32" umbrellas, 3 stands, overhead boom

aaaDSC01873_stitch.jpg

I had to do several self portraits. so bear with the ol dude model LOL

aaDSC01930.jpg

1. typical setup main flash set to to full power, fill flash 2 stops lower, boom flash set to full and on background

aaDSC01940.jpg

2. Main Flash set at full on left, Boom flash as Hair light set 3 stops down with snoot, to highlight hat. Umbrella on stand right to light background 2 stops down

aaDSC01934.jpg

3. Full Main flash right, no fill flash, no background flash, Boom flash without snoot as highlight for hat 2 stops down

I can see where this off camera flash can be addicting. Any input is welcome. Very little PP on these cropped, sharpened, resized and posted.

I think I need to find a prettier model :er:

#1 Looks great. Who is that 'old dude'???:mrgreen:

I really like number 2............. I know nothing about flash photograhy, but I like the way it looks!

second one is my fav. The fist one does seem to be focused.

#3 is overall underexposed except for the hat. Love the lighting on the hat. The main light should be just as dramatic in my opinion. Your set-up snap shot has better color depth than your portraits. Nothing that can't be fixed in photoshop. Nice job.

Should try it with the nice wood walls in that room in the first pic! I think that would have made a great backdrop

Musta missed this on the first round. Nice work Chito.

It seems you have a pretty good handle on the lights purpose, position and ratio. Well done.

The first image of the person is excellent; second adds some evil touch and many would like that; in the third his smile is classic; but the lighting is not at all conducive to the mood of the image; this shot should have more glorifying light; in personality and charm he defies his age; are you sure these are not selff portraits of yours? ;) ( the beard....)

Regards :D

The first image of the person is excellent; second adds some evil touch and many would like that; in the third his smile is classic; but the lighting is not at all conducive to the mood of the image; this shot should have more glorifying light; in personality and charm he defies his age; are you sure these are not selff portraits of yours? ;) ( the beard....)

Regards :D

Yes those are self portraits...I mentioned in the first post ..thanks for the input, My Bday was yesterday and I received some more studio type toys. backdrops etc. Now I need to find a better lookin model!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back