First portrait shoot

socal82

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I will be taking my first family portrait shots at the beach for some co-workers any advise?which len to use? How to set them up? I have a canon t3 with 50mm 1.8, 15-55, 55-250mm

try aperture priority, set the spot focus point and put it on the face. try the 50mm 1.8 and blow out the background, run a high shutter speed. make sure you get the lighting right, and use a polarizing filter if your sky is blown out. also you may want to play with your aperture a bit to get the right DOF so you can get the beach in where you want but still keep the people as your main focus.

also try to keep everyone on the same plane if you have multiple people in one shot, and you want them all to be in focus with a shallow DOF. you can always play with different situations if you want a person in the background out of focus. playing with your aperture will help with this, do a DOF preview if your camera has it...

other then that just put them in situations that will make good pictures.

Last edited:
try aperture priority, set the spot focus point and put it on the face. try the 50mm 1.8 and blow out the background, run a high shutter speed. make sure you get the lighting right, and use a polarizing filter if your sky is blown out. also you may want to play with your aperture a bit to get the right DOF so you can get the beach in where you want but still keep the people as your main focus.

other then that just put them in situations that will make good pictures.

So you want him to blow out the background and then use a CPL to not blow the sky out? lol! And how is the lighting right if he blows out the background? I am confused! :)

So you want him to blow out the background and then use a CPL to not blow the sky out? lol! And how is the lighting right if he blows out the background? I am confused! :)

And here's goes Gipson picking on the noobs again.
At some point I wouldn't be surprised to see a lynch mob of amateur photographers on your ass, chasing you down with tripods, with spiked feet.

Im sorry blur the back ground

And here's goes Gipson picking on the noobs again.
At some point I wouldn't be surprised to see a lynch mob of amateur photographers on your ass, chasing you down with tripods, with spiked feet.

hahahaha... let 'em try!
Madgorilla.gif

so should I be on center weighted metering? I will have 6 people total to shoot sny ideas on how to set them up? sorry for the rookie questions kinda nervious its my first time taking pics of other people other then my daughter lol

A huge professional watermark might help distract from any imperfections

Most reactions

New Topics

Back