FIRST portraiture!Photographing parents and 1 yr. old- advice?

westerngirl14

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I have been asked by a friend to photograph their small family. That is: husband, wife, and 1 year old daughter. Okay I have never done portraiture except for my brothers, and I'm a little nervous about this first "real" time! I will be shooting with a Canon Rebel XTi with an 18-55 mm lens.

I need YOUR help... in:

-ideas on how to pose them without looking stiff or un-natural.

- how to keep the 1 year old looking happy and from wiggling/crying/wrecking the shoot, etc.

I think we will be shooting in park- like scenes...what is the best scenery/backgrounds/ambience for families? I know we want relaxed and natural poses, and I should just let them do what is comfortable for them, but I'm looking for some TRULY unique poses/view points. I want these pictures to be truly special, and something they will be proud to hang on their wall.:D

So any and all advice would be appreciated...and if this gets no replies I guess I'll just wing it.;)

You gotta get the kid to laugh. I've seen some portrait photographers in malls and department stores who are actually amazing at working with people. You might tire yourself out a little bit. Maybe have a stuffed animal, hold it above the camera (which should be mounted on a tripod) and when the daughter laughs, snap the shot.

Not sure on posing.. but I'd google 'family portraits' and look at examples, also do a search on flickr for family portraits.

I'd use the onboard flash for fill in some shots (assuming that's all you have) and try natural light in some as well. Maybe bring something like a big white card (get them at an office supply store) for a cheap reflector.

Good luck, and stay in the 30-55mm range of your kit lens to avoid distortion.

In addition to reznap's sound advice, I'll add a couple of thoughts of my own: 1. Look for a background that is even and large enough so that you can have some separation between it and the subjects, but still fills the whole background. Laurel, privet and cedar hedges are some of my favorites; 2. Discuss clothing options, but not until the shoot locations have been chosen. Make sure they're wearing colours which will contrast with the background (ie, if you choose a green hedge, make sure they don't all show up wearing green shirts!). Also make sure that they choose clothing with similar tonal values. One with a white shirt and the other with a black or dark blue shirt is going to make for a tough shoot.

For poses, spend some time surfing through the portraiture groups on Flickr and similar. As for making them relaxed? That's up to you! Jokes, toys for the child...

Good luck!

Great advice already. The shoots that I have done with babies/toddlers have always been easier if I had someone there to help out. It's much easier to focus on getting the shots if you have someone almost behind the camera getting the child's attention and making them laugh. You can do it on your own, it's just kind of difficult and here's why.

I never really noticed until it was brought to my attention here (thanks Derrel), but moms tend to try and watch their kids to make sure they're doing the right things. Between that, and the baby moving around or their short attention span, it makes it pretty hard to get the baby to laugh, and then get the shot before the mother looks down to make sure the baby is still laughing. What happens is the shot looks good, you snap, look up, still good, look at your lcd and the mother is looking down in the shot. Talk to her before the shoot. Do it kindly, but let hew know that you will make sure the baby is smiling/laughing or whatever before you take the picture, and that her and dad need to always be ready.

THANKS everyone. This has been reeeally helpful stuff here! I will DEFINITELY be bringing someone along to keep the child focused on the camera as Blake.Oney suggested! I am new to shooting with an XTi so I think I will have my "hands full", so to speak, working with my camera.

as for the backgrounds and clothing, that is figured out, and compliments each other nicely; with the clothing all in similiar tone. Thanks for the reminder though!

reznap, the big white card for a sun reflector is a SPLENDID idea! I will try it!

First I've gotta ask, because I know you're getting your new camera.. :) What mode are you planning on shooting in? Get the chance to know your camera first and foremost, and stick to what you know as far as modes go. Don't push yourself to try out different modes if you don't know exactly how they operate--you'll be a lot happier with the shots if you know exactly what you're in for.

As far as the kids go, try to plan a time around (about an hour-hour and a half) before the time they usually go down for a nap, feel sleepy, etc. Get this information from the mom, and you're golden :) If you have your keys or cell phone on you, jingle the keys or show the kid your phone. Awesome trick for getting their attention that's always worked in my experience.

Other than that, keep in mind where your light is and play off of it as best as possible. Good luck! Can't wait to see the results :)

First I've gotta ask, because I know you're getting your new camera.. :) What mode are you planning on shooting in? Get the chance to know your camera first and foremost, and stick to what you know as far as modes go. Don't push yourself to try out different modes if you don't know exactly how they operate--you'll be a lot happier with the shots if you know exactly what you're in for.

As far as the kids go, try to plan a time around (about an hour-hour and a half) before the time they usually go down for a nap, feel sleepy, etc. Get this information from the mom, and you're golden :) If you have your keys or cell phone on you, jingle the keys or show the kid your phone. Awesome trick for getting their attention that's always worked in my experience.

Other than that, keep in mind where your light is and play off of it as best as possible. Good luck! Can't wait to see the results :)

Thanks so much! The sleepy trick is really awesome.And I'll definitely have something to catch the 1 year old's attention.

As far as modes go - what would you suggest I shoot in? I am new to this camera - Canon Rebel XTi. I want to shoot in RAW so I can do as much editing possible. Suggestions as far as modes go?
on the dial there is :

Full Auto, of course, and then the creative zones:

P
Tv
Av
M
A-Dep

and the Basic Zones are:
Portrait
Landscape
Close up
Sports
Night Portrait
Flash Off

- I will be shooting outside the whole time, mostly in open shade, I'm not positive about the time of day yet. Hopefully in the morning or evening but we'll see how it works out.

I say just use what's comfortable for you, what you're familiar with. If you feel comfortable shooting full auto for the family, and you're confident you can get a better shot using that mode instead of experimenting, I definitely wouldn't discourage it. Since you'll be shooting in RAW, make sure you have extra memory cards.. they're a hog. Other than that, do what's comfortable, take it easy and do what you do best :)

I say just use what's comfortable for you, what you're familiar with. If you feel comfortable shooting full auto for the family, and you're confident you can get a better shot using that mode instead of experimenting, I definitely wouldn't discourage it. Since you'll be shooting in RAW, make sure you have extra memory cards.. they're a hog. Other than that, do what's comfortable, take it easy and do what you do best :)

Thanks so much. :D I'm taking your advice and doing what is comfortable. I have an entirely empty memory card, so I should be okay for RAW images. It's crazy how much space they take!:confused: Thanks so much for being so very HELPFUL! I really do appreciate it.

Thanks so much. :D I'm taking your advice and doing what is comfortable. I have an entirely empty memory card, so I should be okay for RAW images. It's crazy how much space they take!:confused: Thanks so much for being so very HELPFUL! I really do appreciate it.

Do you have two memory cards? Three? Extra cards are so important, especially if you're going to be shooting in RAW. You don't want to run out of space and call it done early, especially if you're onto something good!

Do you have two memory cards? Three? Extra cards are so important, especially if you're going to be shooting in RAW. You don't want to run out of space and call it done early, especially if you're onto something good!

Sadly, I only have one. I just consulted my manual to see how many RAW shots I can hold on my memory card, and it was a very depressing.... 48 shots. ugh. So what to do now? The shoot is coming up fast - just barely time to get more memory cards - So I could shoot in RAW and be limited to only 48 shots, or I could just shoot in inferior JPEG, or I could come up fast with some memory cards. Agh decisions decisions...
So I'm wondering - where is the FASTEST place to get memory cards? My camera holds a CF card.

You can find them at Walmart, Target, Best Buy, other retail stores of that nature. For future reference though, I would definitely recommend buying your CFs on B&H's website.

Thank you SO much.! I'll see if I have time to run down to Best Buy.;) You've been so SUPER helpful on this. Wish I could thank you in person! But here's a big cyber THANKS.

thanks.jpg

Most reactions

Back