First post and a few pics. C&C welcomed

chris drake

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I really love photography and have always wanted to get more serious and better equipment and now is the time. I bought my first DSLR about a month ago and now learning how to use it. I've started with a Canon Rebel XSI with the 18-55mm kit lens and 2 days ago i picked up a canon 50mm 1.4 with a haze filter and hood. I got the 50 mm to take family pics and to have a good walk around lens. I'm a reptile guy so my next purchase will be a good macro lens. I'm leaning toward the Canon 100mm macro. I've been lurking the last few weeks and have read alot of good info so thanks for that. Here are a few pics of two of my kids. Please let me know what you think. Be gentle I'm new to this. :) Thanks Chris

A windy day today at the pond. Taken with the 50mm 1.4
009.jpg

and my son on Christmas morning. Taken with the 18-55
071.jpg

Cute kids! I am sure you will capture lots of memories with your new camera.

One of the things people really like about the 50mm 1.4 is its shallow DOF. Which shows up in your 1st pic. The camera selected your daughters hair and shirt as the focus point and so her eyes out slightly out of focus, or soft focused. In portraits you want to make sure to get the subjects eyes as your focal point, which you did in #2.

Hope that helps.

Have fun and enjoy your camera and keep taking those pics.

Thanks for the comments. I did notice her face was soft. I guess noticing is a good thing. I wouldn't have noticed something like that a month ago! I'm learning. :)

Chris

^ great! im getting there, but im not too great with people shots yet. thats my next step. keep it up!

It seems one of the hardest things is to learn to be critical of your own pics, so you're doing well to notice the slight focus issue. I'm a noob, so these are my humble opinions...I think they're both overexposed a bit. You might want to adhere to the rule of 3rds, especially on #2. Perhaps avoid cutting off hands and feet as well in #2. It'd be good to see what he's playing with. The purple in #1 is a bit distracting. The lens looks nice and sharp though. Good start.

like others have said, first one is lacking focus on subjects face. exposure seems to be a bit off too...a bit over exposed.

second one is a good snapshot of your son enjoying xmas morning. i see the top of someones head in the foreground...maybe that could be cropped. this one also seems a bit over exposed. that on camera flash is harsh. may i suggest a flash as one of your next purchases? you'll be AMAZED at what a good flash can do for your photography. it will open up a whole new world for you.

congrats on the cam!
keep shootin'. :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back