First Professional Type Headshots C&C always welcomed

themedicine

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well, first ones since I stopped working at a portrait studio with thousands of dollars in lighting. I've actually done dozens of these, but not with my current light setup. So I guess these are more my first ones using my lighting setup that cost me around 200 dollars....
C&C always welcomed.
4264921302_ff5ab687a6_b.jpg

4264105175_dd5ff8cebc_b.jpg

4264169119_bbc26a385c_b.jpg

Thanks so much for looking.

Slight shadow on backdrop. Otherwise, I dig them. Good job changing perspective. My rookie opinion.

Yea I saw the shadow a bit late in the game. I figured out after I got home how to get rid it, seperately light the background! Duh! The same thing I do when I don't use an actual background. Looking at it now though, I almost like it in the first and especially the third, adds some depth maybe? Dunno maybe I'm just compensating hahaha

thanks again!

Yea it's not a harsh shadow. These look like they are for business pics though. Not sure your artistic depth reason is really warranted. The shots seem to work though. After a second look at 2, looks like maybe the light was too uneven on face. I have never shot pics like these though, so take it with the grain of salt.

I would crop off some on top and some on bottom

The top one is the best, imo... The bottom one is the worst because of her unnatural expression like WTF is this guy doing taking pictures of me? And the second one is between the first and the 3rd, literally and quality wise.

FWIW, I like the pose in the second shot the best. It to me is the most Business like head shot of the trio. The lighting isnt the best in that shot, perhaps some PP can take care of that?

i'd look into removing the shine from her skin, the patch tool is great for that, like what was said above, there needs to be more distance from the background and the subject, i think your monitor might need to be calibrated, the white balance is too warm and they seem a little over saturated, especially in the shadows, i'd patch out the straggling hairs, and put a Gaussian blur on the background and darken it a little bit.

Other than that, they're fine, it's a headshot, generally not too difficult.

(Please don't take this personal)
These photos look like something a grandma would buy or a mom for her little ball of joy. Is it interesting? I dont think so. If you consider photography an art then tell a story with it. This is more like documentation. Like a yearbook. Its good but no story. If your going for this look then great job.( except for shadow.) I try and tell a story even if my client wants a normal portrait.(nothing is normal) See in my photo below, there is a story to tell. I would suggest on the count of three(when about to take a photo) say something random and bold. Like 1,2,3 Sweaty Balls!!!

This may seam weird and gross....it is gross but it will help your client or model have a story. Nothing fake. Your client looks fake. Shes hiding. BRING THEM TO LIFE MAN!
I have used this before and trust me it works. Its really good for group shots. People laugh, make a confused face or try not to feel embarrassed.

You have all the gear....I know you can do better. XD
Again im not bashing you im just shedding some light I hope. :)

1262311561.jpg

Dillz: I agree that it a lot of fun to be able to tell stories with photography and doing dramatic shots like the one you posted (good job by the way, but i sure do wish I could see some eyes) is a fun way to do it. But when someone calls me, says I want a traditional headshot for my real estate business cards, I won't balk on them. This woman hadn't had a new head shot in nearly twenty years except for one she took herself with a sony P&S in her office. I find out after I was done with her that she was DREADING having her photo taken because she is so self conscious and hates being photographed. She thanked me more than a dozen times for making her so comfortable and helping her to have such a good time.
Gotta watch the "stinky balls" as this woman was a staunch conservative so she probably wouldn't have like that one too much but "boogers" (although juvenile) works on all ages and walks of life!
Thanks

I partly agree with Dillz...in that they do kinda look like blah. A few things stick out to me...first, you should turn down the power on your lights...it's a little too harsh. 2nd...you might consider looking into poses that are more flattering for different people. the first pose is the best, but it's still not all that flattering (and the crop doesn't help)

Dillz: I agree that it a lot of fun to be able to tell stories with photography and doing dramatic shots like the one you posted (good job by the way, but i sure do wish I could see some eyes) is a fun way to do it. But when someone calls me, says I want a traditional headshot for my real estate business cards, I won't balk on them. This woman hadn't had a new head shot in nearly twenty years except for one she took herself with a sony P&S in her office. I find out after I was done with her that she was DREADING having her photo taken because she is so self conscious and hates being photographed. She thanked me more than a dozen times for making her so comfortable and helping her to have such a good time.
Gotta watch the "stinky balls" as this woman was a staunch conservative so she probably wouldn't have like that one too much but "boogers" (although juvenile) works on all ages and walks of life!
Thanks

OMG, not bashing you or her at all, but when I first saw the pics I said "real estate picture" out loud! They look exactly like the headshots that would be on a real estate business card.

I think I get what Dilz is saying though... this picture is so the ORDINARY real estate business card (my initial comment when I first saw the picture proves it!) Perhaps doing something a tad unique with her facial expression, would be good marketing for her. Something someone would remember. Still a professional shot but makes her stand out (and when they ask where she got her picture made someone isn't guessing Sears...)

when I go pay my rent at the realty office there is a row of business cards at the counter... every one of them has the same boring picture... if i were a customer walking in and looked at everyone's cards up against each other, i'd probably pick up the one that wasn't a traditional glamour shot studio airbrushed headshot because it would stand out...

Hmm..the third one looks like she's scared of you.
The first one is the best out of the three.
:D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back