First real try at a waterfall - looking for C&C

justaguy93

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is my first real attempt at a waterfall photo and I was hoping I might be able to get some constructive feedback on strengths or weaknesses for the future. Any and all comments are welcome, thanks for looking.

3842880032_26ce389b70_b.jpg

I like the shot, I think a little slower shutter speed would have blurred the water a little more (not sure it would have improved the photo). The branch hanging over the falls and the one that appears to be coming from a rock on the left are distracting but they do not ruin the shot. I am quessing it's a digital, maybe you could photoshop them out and see how it looks.

I actually had some slower shutter speed shots of the same scene but I found that the slightly faster ones made the image more alive for lack of a better word. I didn't consider removing the branches but I'll take a look at that.

Thanks for taking the time to look and comment.

The branches are part of the nature scene which I like. If it were power lines or something it would be different but I love the photo and wouldnt change nothing.

Overall, I like the shot, but would agree that a slightly longer shutter would have given more of a cotton candy effect to the water. In my opinion... and it's just an opinion... that effect works best with waterfalls, while faster shutters work in the case of a fish jumping out of water, a surfer, etc.

A tad underexposed, but overall, I like the shot. My only negative is, while I agree the branches are part of nature, my eye keeps going to that stick on the left in front of the water.

A tad underexposed, but overall, I like the shot. My only negative is, while I agree the branches are part of nature, my eye keeps going to that stick on the left in front of the water.

I have to agree with the underexposure. In fact during post processing I was struggling with keeping the water from blowing out vs making the rest of the scene too dark, so I think perhaps the contrast of the scene is too great. It was an overcast day but probably not quite dark enough for this type of shot.

Thanks everyone for the replies, very helpful. I think I will revisit the shots I took with a longer shutter and compare the water again to see how the smoother look compares.

definitely underexposed. not much you can do about the brnach, its fine. part of nature.

I like the photo being underexposed...makes this seem as though it is in some deep forbiding jungle/woods.

One of the issues I come across alot when photographing in the "wild", is the lack of cooperation nature has for what we would like to think is a good photo, such as the branch in the way of this shot.

It seems as though there is a bit of a green color cast. I'm sure there are many ways to do this. Maybe try adjusting the white balance. I adjusted it in lightroom and it looks better.

It seems as though there is a bit of a green color cast. I'm sure there are many ways to do this. Maybe try adjusting the white balance. I adjusted it in lightroom and it looks better.

Yes I think you're right about this, I warmed up the white balance a bit and it looks much more natural. Here is the photo with a bit longer of a shutter speed and the adjusted white balance.

DSC_5738.jpg

Most reactions

Back