First roll of Film Ever!

rexbobcat

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It's been two years in the making as I make mistakes (wait, which of these rolls is exposed?), lose interest, then have it rekindled out of the blue, but I've finally gotten a roll of film developed.

Thankfully there's one of the few one-hour places that develop 35mm and 120 film not too far, so I went there, because I'm impatient and cheap.

I "scanned" the photos with my 6D, a macro lens, and an iPad as a backlight...because I'm impatient and cheap.

I'm still trying to figure out the best tone curve, since every photo seems to handle it differently.

Shot with a Canon Rebel and Fujifilm Superia 400
_MG_9829.jpg

_MG_9824.jpg

_MG_9833.jpg

_MG_9834-Edit.jpg

_MG_9840.jpg

Last edited:
Haha maybe, the only frustrations so far are keeping the hair/dust low when "scanning" them, and the issue of editing in Lightroom.

In order to invert the image in Lightroom you have to invert the tone curve, which does weeeeiiirrrddd things to the rest of the the editing sliders. For instance, when you try and bring the Vibrance down, it just turns the image magenta.

Last edited:
Welcome to the dark side. We have cookies.

Now the addiction begins, I imagine. Soon you'll have more film cameras than you'll know what to do with. That's how I got started in collecting and ended up with more than 50 cameras at one point (!). Granted there was the Great Purge and I now have about 11 or 12, but still.

Good. Now buy more film in bulk so they'll keep making it. Get a big freezer and fill it with expired film too. Seek out new old stock 500 ML bottles of Rodinal online and stash them 'cause we all know that stuff keeps. Try T-Max 400 souped in FA-1027 at 1:14. Then get really frustrated trying to learn how to scan. Shelve that project for later and buy an enlarger cheap. More to follow..................oh yeah discover Eastman 5222 and stash a bunch in the freezer next to the 70+ rolls of expired Agfa HDC+ you shoehorned in there.

BTW Blue Moon Camera does C-41 for $4.50 a roll if all you seek is negatives.

Last edited:
Yay! I always get unreasonably excited whenever someone tries film :D Overall, how did you like it?

Shots look pretty good. I like that last one. Good timing.

Yay! I always get unreasonably excited whenever someone tries film :D Overall, how did you like it?

I like how tactical it is, from loading the film to winding to unloading it. I haven't developed any because I'm too broke right now to do trial and error without any prior knowledge, but it'd be neat to do it someday.

I also had some 6x7 frames shot with my Pentax developed as well but they're a little trickier to "scan." lol

I like how tactical it is, from loading the film to winding to unloading it. I haven't developed any because I'm too broke right now to do trial and error without any prior knowledge, but it'd be neat to do it someday.

I also had some 6x7 frames shot with my Pentax developed as well but they're a little trickier to "scan." lol

Well, if you ever decide, Kentmere is a good black and white to practice on. It comes in 100 and 400, I think. Cheap but a decent film.

And it will be fun whenever you get around to trying it :) Even if you only do a couple of rolls, I really think it's something special that a photographer should experience, seeing those images on the strip. I was on a high for about 3 days after my first roll!

Well, if you ever decide, Kentmere is a good black and white to practice on. It comes in 100 and 400, I think. Cheap but a decent film.

And it will be fun whenever you get around to trying it :) Even if you only do a couple of rolls, I really think it's something special that a photographer should experience, seeing those images on the strip. I was on a high for about 3 days after my first roll!

That's why you love film so much!!! :biglaugh:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back