First self portrait - Dragan style

Carny

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is my first self portrait and the second time using my strobes. Also my first attempt at the "Dragan effect". I missed focus a bit but I'm fairly happy considering it's my first attempt. Let me know what you think and how I could improve.

Me! by Carny Clickr, on Flickr

Looks cool, not too dark but not sure I like the shine on the right side of your eye as apposed to the soft light on the left

Yeah, I noticed it too, but couldn't decide if it looked ok or not. I'll try to take it out and see how it looks. THanks!

I got rid of the extra light on the eye, and then realized I was working on another version. Which do you prefer? I do think it looks better without the glare on the side of my eye.

Self dragan 1-2 by Carny Clickr, on Flickr

I don't know what 'dragan' style is. I prefer the first one, the second seems too cool. I like it, very dramatic.

$mytake.jpg

my quick edit.

for me, i like it b&w...with just a smidgin more contrast. i didn't desaturate it completely, to leave a bit of the dirty quality since that's sort of the point with dragan.

$mytake.jpg

Carny said:
My wife says I just look mean and dirty, lol

Well does she like you mean and dirty?

Sometimes ;)

Looks Good! What all did you do?

for me, i like it b&w...with just a smidgin more contrast. i didn't desaturate it completely, to leave a bit of the dirty quality since that's sort of the point with dragan.

View attachment 10714

I like it that way too! I was actually going to do the same thing, but I'm using Gimp now and didn't know how to do it the same way as PS and it was bed time, lol.

Duplicate the picture.
Invert colours.
Change layer blend mode to vivid light.
Filter.blur.surface blur
35 for each paramater
Shift+alt+command+e (duplicates layer with effect but changes blend mode to normal)
Delete the middle layer, and change the blend mode of the new layer to overlay.
Adjust opacity, fill and selectively erased parts of the photo I don't like on the new layer to taste.

I would have reduced some of the hotspots a smidge with tonal selections if I had more time. It can be a time consuming way to get rid of them (or reduce them since some brightness can add depth), but it is by far the best way to handle them compared to the quick and dirty spot heal or clone stamp way.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back