First self-portrait...harsh C&C required

DerekSalem

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Alright first of all this has been cropped and slightly modified (contrast, color, etc...). Sharpened up, messed with my eyes a bit (despite the red-eye reduction on I still had pretty bad red-eye), blurred small things out, removed the shine I had (had to use pop-up flash because apparently all the batteries in the house are dead and I just got out of the shower like 5 minutes before this so probably wasn't completely dry).

Anyway, aside from my facial flaws and hideousness...how does the pic actually look? Are the color values probably around correct? Lighting acceptable? Lemme know

4615743259_0b8e5c9baf_o.jpg

No comments thus far but guessing people were still at work. Back yet?

I agree with erose. Grab yourself a table lamp and a sheet or get closer to a sunny window. Play around and see what you can come up with. This just didn't do it.

On the plus side... The focus is spot on.

Didn't even think about the background...n00b mistake. Removed it:

4616232075_b9c961f67d_o.jpg

I'd have had dynamic lighting but apparently I need more AA batteries. All the rechargeables I have are empty and don't remember where I put the charger =P

I've also noticed I apparently have very blonde hairs on my right ear...

Thought the same as erose86. Not a bad idea pulling a monk-like hood with a nice intensive brown over your head to add to the motive - but that alone doesn't make a standard snapshot interesting.

Colours of course are good but your face seems awfully flat with that flash.

I am gonna make self-portraits soon myself and I think some things to think about are:
-clothes
-setting
-time of day ->
-lighting
-facial expression
-angle

Last edited:
... i think all you need is a light saber and you can make a jedi self portrait :D

edit* AND the light saber can add some lighting also win win :p heh

BTW I don't mean to keep bumping my thread (it's a side-effect) but I've never been one to do portraits. I got into photography for taking pictures of mostly landscapes and sights...taking pictures of people really only happens if they're doing something I want to capture. Just taking pictures of people is something I don't really like doing...so any other advice on either how to take the picture or what to do in PP?

Since I'm bored and with so many people telling me it looks like a Jedi picture (the reason I did it mainly was because I haven't changed my facebook picture in over a year and my friends are whining about it)...I decided I'd make an *actual* Jedi picture. It's terrible but once again...I'm bored lol

4616305199_68acea2b55_o.jpg

(the reason I did it mainly was because I haven't changed my facebook picture in over a year and my friends are whining about it)

You said it. Your portrait screams fb profile picture, not self portrait.

Unabomber self pic for dating service, sorry I just had to say:lol: I've got nothing.

... i think all you need is a light saber and you can make a jedi self portrait :D

edit* AND the light saber can add some lighting also win win :p heh

lol I saw this pic this morning and all I kept thinking about were little Ewoks. Im sorry not trying to be rude but the brown hoody thing makes me think Star Wars. I like it much better on the black background though. You could do a funny self portrait. :mrgreen:

See there you are channeling Darth Mauhl or howeveryou spell his name.

I think it would have been more interesting had you channeled "Anakin". LOL Perhaps turn your face may by a quarter one way or the other, chin down, eyes look up in a mean fashion. PP your eyes yellow afterward. Take the picture outside at around dusk so you have more pleasant lighting.

I'm only guessing here, but the facial expression does NOT go with any Jedi Warrior premise. Good on ya for removing the distracting background, but that doesn't affect the overall feel of mismatched emotions. The dead center pinlights (as opposed to catchlights) add to the delusion. The 'red' edit is a no-go IMO.

Act like a Jedi, be a Jedi, let the force be with you.

I'm only guessing here, but the facial expression does NOT go with any Jedi Warrior premise. Good on ya for removing the distracting background, but that doesn't affect the overall feel of mismatched emotions. The dead center pinlights (as opposed to catchlights) add to the delusion. The 'red' edit is a no-go IMO.

Act like a Jedi, be a Jedi, let the force be with you.

Was more of a Sith edit. Wasn't going to try to make my facial expression work with a Jedi-type picture. It works with Sith

Most reactions

Back