First (Serious) Attempt at Night Photography

musicaleCA

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
And by serious, I mean I had my tripod and cable release handy. Both of the below shot with my 17-85mm f/4-5.6. C&C encouraged.

View On Black

Pano. 2 images together, 4 min exposure each at f/5.6, ISO 100. (The second shot quickly became a hassle; my first battery in the camera died, so I had to take it off the tripod, put in the second battery I bought just yesterday, and recompose...bah.)

View On Black

2 min exposure, f/5.6, ISO 100, plus the 580EX II that I had on me at the time (never leave home without a flash kids). Flash was gelled with a full CTO; ambient light from the UBC campus (sky) and a bonfire (lighting from the front right).

Far left, toward the left side of the tower: 3 flashes, at 1/8 power, 0º, 45º, and 80º from base.

Left of camera: 2 flashes at 1/8 power at 60º from base, 1 at 80º at 1/8 power.

To camera right, straith at the left side of the tower: 2 flashes, 0º.

Sure, I was only using the flash to fill in shadows, but it worked. And it was kinda fun running around with my flash.

Thanks Paul. 62 views and I was hoping someone would give me tips on how to do this better. :lol:

number 1 is BEAUTIFUL.
i love the tones youve got going on there, and that little patch of blue in the upper left hand corner is really cool. looks really sharp too.

#2 doesnt look quite as sharp, and dare i say, even a bit soft. but again, i love the tones there, and the sky looks really cool.

#1 ftw.:thumbup:

Yep, I agree, the second got a little soft on me. I didn't bring a flashlight and so I was guessing the focus range by how far I turned the ring on my lens back from infinity; evidently I was a little off, but I figure it still works. It's more about the tones then the tower itself. >.>

And thanks; I'm pretty fond of #1 myself. I'm going to slide that one into the portfolio for sure (and put it up for sale on ImageKind too, methinks).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back