First shoot with my softbox

Restomage

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I built my own softbox yesterday and I wanted to go ahead and try it out, this was also my first time shooting off-camera flash. My dad wanted me to come over and take some photos for him in prep for a larger photoshoot we're going to do at his fencing gym. I know the background isn't very appealing but it's all I had to work with. Anyway, I'm looking for some C&C. Thanks!

5.jpg

10.jpg

7.jpg

4.jpg

13.jpg

#2 is the best one..

but the plant is very distracting:grumpy:

Would've been a really nice portrait without it

first and second came correctly but third onwards, they are showing underexposure....u cud use flash exposure meter or after checking on LCD, u cud repeat them...take as many shots as u prefer for a single mood may be 4-5 changing aperture value....also there is great contrast in his dress and facial skin tone..so u cud go like first and second. thanks.

First of all, I'm a noob, so keep that in mind. I definitely like the exposure on the second and third the best. It's probably going to be hard to expose your dad's face and the white outfit correctly. I don't know what size your softbox is, or how "mobile" it is, but that will play a part. But when I saw your shots, I immediately thought of this post on strobist.

Strobist: Desert for Dessert The "result" shot toward the end is what I'm thinking of.

I assume you are using CLS to trigger your SB-600. Others can speak about CLS than I can, as I only have a D40, but I think you might be able to use the softbox the way he uses the umbrella (assuming you have a way to hold it there) and ...here's the part I don't know about... use your built in flash as a fill. If you get the softbox close enough, the light will fall off quickly so as to not overexpose the white outfit. The fill will cut down on the shadows.

As said before, keep in mind I'm a noob. I'm just starting to experiment with off camera flash, but I have done some homework. Besides, don't listen to me, listen to Strobist.

needs some fill or a reflector on the left side for the underexposure.

I thought #2 was a bit awkward at first, but when I looked at it a second time, I really think it turned out brilliantly. I love the pose, and the exposure is good. <edit> oooooh man, i just noticed he's wearing shorts! booo! make him wear the pants when you do the actual shoot! haha </edit>

Most reactions

New Topics

Back