First shot as RAW!

Deadeye008

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.hamblinphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
After reading an article about RAW I decided to give it a shot. The first picture is the RAW that I tweeked and converted to a .png file and the bottom is the jpeg I simultaneously took when taking the RAW file. Let me know what you think and how I can make it better. Just remember don't be too harsh because this is my first attempt;)
Dandylion.png

Dandylion2.jpg

I actually like the JPEG version better. The RAW version's saturation looks to be over-the-top, and has caused the detail in the flower to be lost. Try re-running the RAW file with a little less saturation.

Yeah, you've got tonal block in the RAW file, too much saturation.

This is an excellent use of RAW format. I had reasons to like both.

When editing the RAW image switrch on the highlights that tell you whether you are clipping the highlights and/or shadows.

If you see a red fill appearing over areas you are clipping the highlights. Adjust the exposure or recovery to reduce the blown out or over saturated areas. And if you see a blue fill, you are clipping the shadow area. reduce the black or the fill sliders.

You'll start to see the differences and your photos will start to look better. Using a small amount of contrast can help give your images a nicer look without clipping.

Thanks all for your replies and knowledge! I was having so much fun with this I decided to go and take some more pics in my yard to play with. I think I did a better job on this one. The top is the RAW I converted and the bottom is the jpeg shot simultaneously. (These are middle-resolution copies of the originals by the way). I'd like to hear some more comments. Thanks.
20070424_0294aweb.jpg

20070424_0294web.jpg

Much better. The RAW file is excellent in this case. The thing about editing RAW files is that different packages will give different colour results when converting the RAW data to image data. It may be better or worse than in camera processing.

Also be careful of the critique forum. One picture subject per thread or you risk having it moved into the general gallery.

the JPEG has better exposure IMO. The pedal in front of the bee isn't blown out, and the green leaves to the right aren't as dark as the RAW. Of course the colors are much better in the RAW.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back