First Shot at Christmas Portrait in Front of Tree - CC Please

PeK77

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi gang!
Here's my first stab at a Christmas Portrait in front of a tree. I was going for a more dramatic lighting with this one. Shot at f/4, 1/60sm ISO 800 50mm - sphagetti box for a snoot. I darkened the tree behind the kids a bit in Photoshop and adjusted vibrance. I originally shot with a more narrow DOF and my significant other preferred having the lights in focus. Any CC is appreciated.

Attachments

• $Christmas_Portrait_2013.jpg
    $Christmas_Portrait_2013.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Hi, PeK77. Your white balance is off, and the lamp in the background is distracting. The children could use more light on them IMO.

Hi, PeK77. Your white balance is off, and the lamp in the background is distracting. The children could use more light on them IMO.

Thanks, designer. I've been shooting with my camera set to flash. Do you guys think it would help to try a different setting? I also want to add that the lamp shade does cast that orange hue.

Also - would I set the custom/manual white balance in the flash (where the children's faces will be) or in the back area where the Christmas lights and lamp are? It looks to me like the white balance is good on the children. Please let me know if you don't think so!

Last edited:

Thanks, designer. I've been shooting with my camera set to flash. Do you guys think it would help to try a different setting? I also want to add that the lamp shade does cast that orange hue.

Also - would I set the custom/manual white balance in the flash (where the children's faces will be) or in the back area where the Christmas lights and lamp are? It looks to me like the white balance is good on the children. Please let me know if you don't think so!

Since you apparently did not shoot with TTL, then re-shoot with a little more light on your subject.

Actually, it was in the children's faces that I think the WB is off. Just frame to capture the children, the tree, but not the lamp. If you have shot this in RAW, just adjust according to the children's natural color. Crop the lamp out.

This is when you need flash gels. Make the flash match the color of the existing light.

This is when you need flash gels. Make the flash match the color of the existing light.

Flash gels are on the way for Christmas. So I match the gel to the lights in the room and then WB to that right?

I would keep the same strength of power, just widen the spread of the flash. And remove the lamp completely. I like what you're going for, though.

It seems odd to me that the children are looking and smiling at someone to camera right, as if you were a secondary shooter getting in on someone else's pose. :confused:

It seems odd to me that the children are looking and smiling at someone to camera right, as if you were a secondary shooter getting in on someone else's pose. :confused:

Good feedback. Thank you! The next round I am planning on doing shots turned towards the camera.

I had to think about this myself, But i ended up liking this about the photo a lot.

Most reactions

Back