First star trails

Big

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
coffmanimages.webs.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I gave it a shot last week over my vacation in Maine and I came up with this. I feel the focus is a little off. I set it to infinite. I don't think some people realize how hard it is to compose a shot in complete darkness! I thought it was kinda neat to see the satellite trails in the shot.
C&C welcome!
Thanks! -BIG :D

The exif is
3454 seconds (just short of an hour)
ISO 100
f/4

23975_379948086670_618336670_4244227_1358617_n.jpg

Cool. You actually left your camera on, exposing, for almost an hour?

I've always been scared to do that on a digital camera...lol. I think the longest I've ever done (digitally) was 15 minutes.

Focus does look a little off... Maybe it needed to be just short of infinity...?

Cool. You actually left your camera on, exposing, for almost an hour?

I've always been scared to do that on a digital camera...lol. I think the longest I've ever done (digitally) was 15 minutes.

Focus does look a little off... Maybe it needed to be just short of infinity...?
Yup, it was just below freezing out so I wasn't too worried about the sensor overheating (I bet I'll get crap for saying that).

Yep, focus is off. Does the 50D have "live view?" I didn't think I would use it at all after years with my Rebel with just looking through the finder, but for astrophotography and focusing, the live view feature and super-high ISO on my 7D literally saves about 10-30 minutes of focusing hell. Remember that infinity on the lens is not where infinity will actually be. Very minute rotations (by a degree or so) will completely change the focus for star trails.

Ya the focus is off a little. What I usually do is put up the ISO a bit and then do a semi quick exposure and check if it's all in focus and if it is then I lower the iso and do my shot. I really like the composition of the shot though, just keep working on it.
TJ

Most reactions

Back