first time buying a DSLR - need advice on best overall camera

I dont think there is a "best overall camera". Each camera has its advantages and disadvantages.

I started photographing with the Panasonic Lumix-FX12 about 4 years ago. After I had some initial experience and some idea what I actually like to photograph and whats not that important, I moved on to a Canon Powershot G11 2 years ago. After even more experience I finally ended up deciding I want an upgrade. After quite some research, I choose the Nikon D5100.

Why this camera ?

- Nikon and Canon are very old companies that have a huge number of lenses for their cameras offered (not counting secondary companies who also offer lenses for them) and will very likely stay in business for decades to come. Lenses are on the long run more important than bodies, because digital bodies right now progress with amazing speed and quickly get replaced, while a good lens can be used for about a decade, until a new generation of technology comes along (such as the most recent upgrade, VR).
- I deeply loved the monitor of the G11. It can be flipped around and allows all kinds of tricks, such as showing the portrayed what you're photographing, holding the camera high above you (or in other extreme positions) and still see what you're photographing, etc. The D5100 has a monitor like that - for some reason neither the D3200 nor the D7000 have it. I definitely dont want to photograph without.
- I found that I often wanted to photograph in low light. For this, a SLR is far superior. The D5100 specifically can be run at very high ISO settings with still decent performance. It even has a night mode just like the one on the G11, only even much more powerful. On top of that, on an SLR, one can get very bright fixed lenses like the 35mm F/1.8 DX one I'm using as my standard lens. I still wished there would be also a simple switch for IR mode, but oh well, cant have everything.
- I also found that the G11 is incredibly slow. It takes a full 9 seconds to make a photo after one has been taken. For some reason, SLRs are much better at this. My D5100 does one picture per second, about. Thats not perfect, but much, much better.
- I wanted to keep the weight low. Even with a lightweight 55mm F/1.8 DX lens, my D5100 is almost twice as heavy, and about three time as space consuming, as my G11. Getting a full frame camera would be even much more heavy and is frankly overkill, considering I'm not a professional and bodies will keep getting outdated quickly.
- I also was intrigued that this specific camera is the current tip for a general purpose camera of Ken Rockwell. Even if, again, there is no such thing. Every camera has its advantages and disadvantages.

I think you should check out the 60D... It doesn't have the best sensor in low light, but putting some good glass on it is really nice!

-ken Turner

and eventually be adaptable with tilt-shift and macro lenses (so basically to have a good line of lenses available for it).

You may also need do some research on the lenses that you are planning to get in the near future especially you mentioned tilt-shift and macro. That could be the answer to your question about body. Especially if you are looking for 5:1 ratio macro lens.

Especially digital camera body technologies advance pretty quick. The best overall body today will be outdated in couple years.

Thank you all for your help. Your suggestions have been very helpful! Given that the D7000 is out of my price range (staying below $1,000, which I did not mention), it looks like my options might be between the Canon t3i, Nikon 5100, and Sony Alpha 580. From your answers, I can also tell that being too choosy with bodies might not be worthwhile given their similarities, becoming outdated, and the importance of lenses..

However, I do want to grow into the camera and really learn photography (not just become a good button-presser or familiar with menus/pre-programmed functions), so would this consideration come into play in choosing one of these entry to mid level choices under $1,000? (and hopefully one that would become outdated less quickly (wishful thinking, I know)). Thanks!!!

Just for some perspective, the Canon Tilt-Shift lenses are around $2K for either the 17mm and 24mm, and $1300 for the 45mm and 90mm lenses.

I would go for the D7000 instead of the D5100 - It will save you money in the long run if you want to buy D class lenses.

Start with a Nikon D5100 with kit 18-55 VR, shoot and try things like a madman for a month...see if your missing something...focal range?\low light? - then buy what your missing, IF you feel your missing it. simple.

D7000 and Rebel T3i cannot be compared... If you have the money for the D7000 go for it. You won't regret it one bit, on the contrary.
While it's important to think on the lens, it's not that bad to start with the kit one if you don't have enough money now... And maybe a good and fast prime like the 50mm f/1.8G...

I think it all depends on how serious you're about photography... if you're still not too sure how much you like it, then go with the D5100, T3i or whatever in that level... But if you really into it, then get the D7000 or the 7D... Both great cameras, and I think they're a great place to start... Right between pro or semi-pro cameras and entry-level cameras.

Maybe go to a shop where you can grab them and take a few shots... and then go with your guts. As I always say, one thing's for sure... You can't go bad with any of these models and brands, but you'll get what you pay for. ;)

edit: here you have a quick comparison between D7000 and T3i... you'll see why we say they are not meant to be compared:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back