first time buying a DSLR - need advice on best overall camera

chris.paget

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all -

I've been taking photos for a while and realized it's time to finally purchase a DSLR given some traveling I'm doing this summer. I know there are a bunch of cameras on the market, but I would need it to be capable of high dynamic range photos, and eventually be adaptable with tilt-shift and macro lenses (so basically to have a good line of lenses available for it). I have done a little looking around, and seem to often come to the Nikon D7000 (mid-level, at around $1,300) and Canon t3i (entry-level, much less expensive at around $700). Lower price is obviously good, but I wouldn't want to sacrifice quality due to that, or due to the "entry-level" label (which may not be a big deal anyways). What are some pros and cons of these models? Also, am I missing another camera that I should be checking out? What are some good overall recommendations for DSLR cameras?

Many thanks!

Nikon D90 is a decent camera, which is older and cheaper than D7000. If you have a big budget, go for the D7000. D7000 worth the price.

Very good to know - Thanks! I keep seeing the Canon t3i being called "entry-level." Would you think this would be comparable to the Nikons?

chris.paget said:
Very good to know - Thanks! I keep seeing the Canon t3i being called "entry-level." Would you think this would be comparable to the Nikons?

T3i is comparable to the d5100 which is its direct Nikon competition

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Lots of the quality of the images come from the glass that the light travels through to get to the camera sensor. You sound like $1300 is the top of your budget. I would try to get an entry-level with some good glass behind it. Go for Canon or Nikon.

If I were you I'd go with the Canon t3i. For practical use (and most impractical uses) the Canon t3i is as good as a Canon 7D. Save your money on the body and get a T3i. What's more important to image quality is using fast prime lenses. And by fast I mean a f2.8 or faster.

As for such lenses I might recommend the 35mm f2.0, 50mm f1.4, or the 85mm f1.8. The 35mm will act like a 50mm lens on a crop camera and give you very nice image quality.

Well if you are going with Canon then perhaps T3i will be your best bet . But if you wanna go the nikon way and really want to learn photography , then D90 is the way to go. Its one of the classical cameras Nikon has ever produced with a semi - pro look. You can change ISO, Aperture, Shutter speed with just simple buttons on the sides . Also it gives you the advantage of buying AF lenses without built in focussing motor as the body itself has the motor. Even better is the D7000 if you do have the balance . But truely, D5100 or D3100 do not stand near to D90 classic. I have tested out each of the ones you specify except from D7000 as i didn't have the budget and D90 had a supreme hand holding feeling. Plus the easy to access controls and built in motor makes it so very perfect. Also you can get refurbished D90s from B&H or Adorama as I got mine...

Also if your budget is really 1300 may be you can try out a prime from nikon like the 35mm f 1.8 g or the 50 mm f 1.8 g or may be Tamron/Sigma 17-50 mm f 2.8 if you want zoom.

Choice is yours !!!!

Ok...so I think we are in a similar mindset. I just got my D7000 in the mail the other day. I have shot film for years, and this camera is well beyond my expectations. I think if you spend any less than the $1300 you will regret it. Of course, we are paying a little extra for the quality, but it is well worth it, and you always get what you pay for, especially with Nikon. The camera takes the most beautiful pictures. Perfectly user friendly and professional at the same time. I spent my last dime on it and have no regrets. I thought of listing pros and cons, but cant think of any cons. The quick pros include these:
-Extreme sensitivity to subtle color tones
-Amazing shots in low light. You should consider this especially for your traveling, as many shots are indoors, etc. Awesome ability in very low light.
-Unreal focusing options and ability...seriously.
-could go on and on

Get this. Its very similar to the D7000 but costs less. This kit was a pretty decent one for a beginner.

Sony

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi all -

I've been taking photos for a while and realized it's time to finally purchase a DSLR given some traveling I'm doing this summer. I know there are a bunch of cameras on the market, but I would need it to be capable of high dynamic range photos, and eventually be adaptable with tilt-shift and macro lenses (so basically to have a good line of lenses available for it). I have done a little looking around, and seem to often come to the Nikon D7000 (mid-level, at around $1,300) and Canon t3i (entry-level, much less expensive at around $700). Lower price is obviously good, but I wouldn't want to sacrifice quality due to that, or due to the "entry-level" label (which may not be a big deal anyways). What are some pros and cons of these models? Also, am I missing another camera that I should be checking out? What are some good overall recommendations for DSLR cameras?

Many thanks!

No, the guy is asking for specific requirements that are not common place to all DSLR's. The 5D MkIII meets his requirements/desires. Now it is up to him to decide if he want's to spend that kind of money to meet those requirements or whether say doing HDR in post processing is worth it. The world if full of compromise, people just have to decide for themselves where they want to compromise.

To OP. Most new dslrs you can purchase now will give high quality shots. Your D7000 is a well respected camera and you also mentioned the 600d. As mentioned the d5100 is Nikons competing product to the 600d. To many numbers and choices.Canon and nikon cameras seem to have the easiest upgrade path and the most easy to acquire accessories. This is not to say other cameras are not as good. One particular model I like is the pretax k5 which is weather sealed and has the same sensor as the d7000 at a lower price point.If you have friends with dslrs it can be a good idea to go with a make they have as ye may be able swap lenses etc. If I was starting again I would buy a good second hand model. This may enable you to buy a higher spec camera that will serve your needs better. A good secondhand d90 with a fast kit lens would be such an example or maybe a canon 40d

Most reactions

New Topics

Back