First time night shots/car light trails

ROACHCLASS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm relatively new to photography. I've had my D40 for awhile but always just used 'Auto' to shoot in the daylight. Tonight I decided to go out and mess around after seeing some nice night shots. So, if you guys could please critique my photos as I said this was my first time going out at night and I loved it. I know there not good and I need to adjust settings and what not. But I sure do like night shooting!

https://flic.kr/p/nQ1FCh

https://flic.kr/p/nzyuRB

https://flic.kr/p/nTQECz

I know the first picture is bad. I was trying to get the lights mostly and you can't really see the building. The two car trails seem pretty good I think. Again, please be honest and let me know what I can do to improve. Thanks in advance!

Second one is amazing! Love that you have captured the beautiful curve. The 3rd is one is a bit dark and hence does not work.

Yea the 2nd one is interesting as it was a tow truck or something with a top light..hence space between the two trails.

Your shots are very nice but I wish you would have upload it here in the post so everyone can see it straight away instead of clicking to see your shots.

I like #2 too...it is very interesting...did you take these shots near your home? What were your settings?

Your shots are very nice but I wish you would have upload it here in the post so everyone can see it straight away instead of clicking to see your shots.

I like #2 too...it is very interesting...did you take these shots near your home? What were your settings?
To be completely honest I didn't even look at the settings, although I still have the shots on my camera. And yes, from here on I'll post the direct pictures instead. Thanks!

Keeping track of the settings is how you learn :)

FYI, flickr will save this info for you for each shot:

First Picture:
Nikon D40
18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
ƒ/11.0 55.0 mm
5 second exposure
ISO 200
No flash
Manual

Your first shot is blurry and too dark, it will be hard to pull a good exposure out of that composition since those street lights are so much brighter than everything else.

The second is the best, but the foreground is distracting, I would try to cut that out next time to keep your eyes on the light trails. The street lights are also distracting but cutting them out might be hard without PP work.

The third is also too dark and the light trails are too dim to make them a definitive subject, bringing them out more would help.

Roahclass depending on your camera if you right click the picture in Windows and select properties it will tell you the setting.

Yes #2 is my favorite. As everyone mentioned the others are a bit dark. If we knew your setting we could make suggestions. Most likely just shutter speed. Try a longer exposure. I always try and take note of my settings so I know what worked and why. Sometimes one shot just stands out like #2 and it's nice to know how you achieved it.

Was #2 a truck? What PP program do you use? Try and up the exposure on #1 because it may have potential once we can see it.

I like night shooting as well and just started in photography keep shooting your off to a god start.

Keeping track of the settings is how you learn :)

FYI, flickr will save this info for you for each shot:

First Picture:
Nikon D40
18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
ƒ/11.0 55.0 mm
5 second exposure
ISO 200
No flash
Manual

Your first shot is blurry and too dark, it will be hard to pull a good exposure out of that composition since those street lights are so much brighter than everything else.

The second is the best, but the foreground is distracting, I would try to cut that out next time to keep your eyes on the light trails. The street lights are also distracting but cutting them out might be hard without PP work.

The third is also too dark and the light trails are too dim to make them a definitive subject, bringing them out more would help.
Thanks! I didn't know Flickr saved the settings.

So too dark I need a longer exposure?

Last edited:
Yup, or higher ISO or larger aperture. Depends what you want from the shot.
Thanks! I'm going to go back out in awhile and mess with some more car trails and going to a few shopping plazas to see what kind of light/signs/reflections I can come up with :D

#2 was amazing. I have a D40 also. You get out with yours a lot more than I do.
Thanks bud! I haven't got out much but plan to get out a lot in the coming weeks. Want to get some good sunset shots and find a nice, winding road for more car trails. The D40 isn't the best but if you know how to use it, you can get some good shots! Clearly I'm still learning.

Thanks Roachclass for posting. I have been wanting to try it out for a while and after seeing your photos I went last night.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back