Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Let me know what you think...

DSC_0062-1.jpg

DSC_0069-1.jpg

DSC_0268-1.jpg

DSC_0271.jpg

DSC_0508-1.jpg

I think you're off to a good start, but...

1-4 are all suffering from very harsh shadows. A change in position might have resulted in a more even lighting of her face, or, if that was not an option, consider using either a reflector camera left, or a fill-flash (ideally off-camera). In #2 you've missed the focus slightly; always "aim" for the eyes. In this case your camera focused on her hair leaving the face slightly soft.

In #5 you've got great lighting, but having the subject so close the background means that it is sharply focused as well, and thus distracting. When taking portraits like this, always try and separate the subject from the background by several feet and use a large aperture to render the it soft and undistracting.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

I think you're off to a good start, but...

1-4 are all suffering from very harsh shadows. A change in position might have resulted in a more even lighting of her face, or, if that was not an option, consider using either a reflector camera left, or a fill-flash (ideally off-camera).

~John

I am planning on purchasing a SB600...will this help with the shadows? I went out around noon. Should I have went out in the morning or afternoon?

An SB600 would indeed help with that problem - when you get it, take some time and read up on CLS (Nikon's Creative Lighting System) it's a very powerful too.. Time was your real enemy though; early morning or later evening are almost always better times for photographic light.

Mid-day is probably one of the hardest times to shoot because the harsh lighting and shadows. Usually, the earlier or later in the day the better, and your colors will look much nicer too. A reflector would've made a huge difference in her facial lighting and probably smoothed out the shadows for a lot less than an external flash. I think 5 looks great though! You're lighting here is nice and even and I really don't mind the background either although having it out of focus would draw more attention to your subject. Nice work, big improvements in each of your posts.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back