What's new

First time out

wildenkidu

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jul 7, 2014
Messages
2
Reaction score
1
Location
United States
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm new to the non-P&S world. After getting my new prime lens, I went out to try to just get a feel for it. In the library [actually went to pick up some photography books], I saw this girl reading in the stacks. After asking permission, I took these two shots. Even though I liked the idea, I'm not thrilled with how they turned out. I would love to hear any critiques or ideas on how others would have approached this setting.

I will admit that, despite asking first, I didn't want to take too many shots for fear of creeping her out - so I just shot wide open with two different focus points.

librarygirl (1 of 2) by wildenkidu, on Flickr

librarygirl (2 of 2) by wildenkidu, on Flickr
 
I like the first shot with a little more shallower dof perhaps. You could do that in photoshop.
 
Monochrome might help the busy scene also.
 
Ok, well keep in mind this is a very quick and dirty edit.. but..



The photograph as is has a couple of issues that are a little difficult to fix, it looks like the focus point was actually on the girls dress and as a result her face is not in sharp focus. I chose this particular crop because if you look at the shade at the top of the window, it's not straight - as a result it gives the image the impression of having a "dutch tilt". Also by cropping out some of the stacks the focus is more on the girl however it's still evident that she's in a library. Like I said, this was just a real quick edit, but this is probably the direction I would have gone.
 
Ok, well keep in mind this is a very quick and dirty edit.. but..



The photograph as is has a couple of issues that are a little difficult to fix, it looks like the focus point was actually on the girls dress and as a result her face is not in sharp focus. I chose this particular crop because if you look at the shade at the top of the window, it's not straight - as a result it gives the image the impression of having a "dutch tilt". Also by cropping out some of the stacks the focus is more on the girl however it's still evident that she's in a library. Like I said, this was just a real quick edit, but this is probably the direction I would have gone.

I like the OP's version better because you've got the bookshelves really serving as something that is leading the viewers attention to the subject. With this crop that goes away.
 
Great photos. I like the first how it is. Good job!
 
I like the first better than the second...

I dislike she has an ebook in her hand instead of a real book though. If this was a model...I would have had a book in its place.

Then again, I can see you making a statement with this shot concerning exactly what I am talking about. Surrounded by tradition yet breaking it.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom