First time portrait setup, How'd I do?

HL45

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I recently purchased a used set of Impact strobes! After watching videos and reading about setting up a home studio I think i'm on the right track!?
This picture (from my phone) shows how I positioned the lights after some triial and mostly error.

IMAG0049 by mtw2118, on Flickr

I'm not sure that using the back strobe to light the background was a great idea?
I used the small strobe with softbox for fill/hair. I just guessed and did test shots for the power settings on the strobes.

Canon EOS REBEL T2i
0.011 sec (1/90)
f/5.6
85 mm
ISO 100
0 EV

Test Shot by mtw2118, on Flickr

Canon EOS REBEL T2i
0.017 sec (1/60)
f/8.0
85 mm

3 light kit by mtw2118, on Flickr

3 light kit by mtw2118, on Flickr

Used the Canon EF 85mm fo all shots, what do you use??
I did some post processing with Lightroom 3.
Thanks for your comments and/or critiques!
Mitch

For your first time I think you did a great job. I can't critique it as well as others may, mainly because I don't know much about studio portrait photography, but compared to what I've seen from others on their first try, I think you did an awesome job, so definitely keep it up!

The lights are too far away. The shadows look like they were caused by a point light source instead of a softbox/umbrella. I would also bring the fill light closer to the camera axis, probably on the other side of the camera. I would relook at the lighting ratios as well. Maybe tone the main down a bit and up the fill. Background light looks good.

Thanks for the replies!
Would I be better off using a shoot thru umbrella on the main light? The kit cam with both.

I think it looks good, however I think the backdrop is terribly outdated.

Thanks for the link!

I guess I know now why the backdrop was really cheap lol!

Thanks again!

+1 on having your modified lights to far away causes shadow edges that are to well defined, defeating the purpose of modifying the lights.

In #1 the light camera left is way to high. Try and keep the nose shadow line from intersecting with the upper lip line.

Ask your subjects to 'sit tall', and shoulders square to the camera makes a weak portrait pose.

Thanks so much for the critique! I do see the nose shadow intersecting with the lip.

Evan Test Shot by mtw2118, on Flickr

Moved the light closer and toned down the main light! Better? I can see the difference. Thanks again! :D

You're definitely on the right track. The biggest gripe I have with them is that the subject is too close to the background. If you pull the subject away from the background, you'll throw the BG out of focus more, and hide the creases and wrinkles. I also think the your background light is too hot. You might not even need a seperate light on the background, the lights on your subject might spill enough onto the background.

Most reactions

Back