What's new

First time poster - please critique

JRIOS209

TPF Noob!
Joined
Nov 17, 2012
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Location
Salida
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This was my first ever portrait shoot. I know I have lots to learn, so I would say just go for it and tell me what I need to improve on. Shot on a Canon 7D 50mm 1.4



$_MG_8040.webp
 
If that is a poster, 3/4th is not a good choice; please make your models available completely within frame; the expressions of the models look good; the placing of the leg by the second person from left is a bit awkward
Regards :D
 
I say you're doing quite well. All faces are equidistant from the lens, and evenly placed within the frame. The background is quite busy, but not too bad. There is extra space around your subjects, but probably not too much. The casual pose is just that; casual. Faces have a fair amount of light, but if anything you could use a little fill flash to lessen the shadows under their chins.
 
Hands out of pockets, pull sweaters down and tighten them up ...as mentioned flash would help. Smiles look good. Good for your first time around ,,, now go and do some more.
 
Maybe its just my eyes, but seems as if the guy on far right is the only one with his face in focus. All others look a tad soft?
 
I would crop it so as to bring the subject in front
Looks like a landsacape to me ,seriously
 
the guy in the green his pose look primish I think it is the legs....the rest looks good tighter crop would be nice the lighting rocks
 
The main thing I see is that the sun is blowing out right over their heads...

I'd have tried to rotate everything 15 degrees to move the sun off to their right some.

Also, the background could have used more blur, which means a lower f/stop if you had any more available on the lens you were using.

I disagree about hands out of pockets, straighten shirts, etc... I find that most people freeze up awkwardly once it's time to "pose" for a picture. Catching them being natural can put life back into the picture.

Overall a good shot.
 
It's not terrible, but if you take everything listed above, it comes across as a quick snapshot of a bunch of friends, but not a particularly good one. I'd take what these people said, and give it another go. I think you'll be surprised at the difference.
 
I agree with others about the bright background and the awkward posing. In particular, the older guy is leaning in towards the woman (his wife?) in a very awkward way, as if he had just been told to get closer. It looks like he doesn't really want to be that close. I may be reading in something that isn't there, but some people will look at it and have the same reaction I did, so it could be embarrassing for them to have this on their wall.
 
Thank you so much everyone, thats some great insight! Much appreciated
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom