First Time Shooting a Skyline

I'm a fan of foreground interest in landscapes / cityscapes, so I'm not sure I'd get rid of the shoreline altogether, but I might consider recomposing to put something interesting there, assuming you can find something.

If you feel like trying some light HDR techniques, you might be able to tone down some of the areas where the bright lights are blowing out a bit.

Finally, I think I spotted a couple dust spots (top-left quadrant) -- not uncommon when you start stopping down, but easily fixed in your favorite editing package.

Wow, I didn't think people would think it's all that good. :)

I personally like the bit of ice on the shore, so I'll leave that, but I will fix the tilt to it. I didn't even recognize it was slightly off.

Lambertpix - there's actually a few pieces of dust on the sensor :(

You don't get to post such nice photos without telling us the setting you used:)
And since I am still learning, include as many boring details as you want.

Also, I have not used my camera in cold weather yet. Will be on trip soon and will do skyline shots. How long does a battery last with live view, long exposures, etc.
thank you, nicely done.
Nancy

Please remove the dust from photos because it destroy all of good impression that Your photos can make. Those are very good actually!
A little improvement can be done on the first one in area of vertical lines correction (there is slight distortion or just consequence of keeping lens a little bit upturned).
Additionally You can try regaining some more details from the brightest parts of the photo but in night shots its difficult to achieve in single exposure.

You don't get to post such nice photos without telling us the setting you used:)
And since I am still learning, include as many boring details as you want.

Also, I have not used my camera in cold weather yet. Will be on trip soon and will do skyline shots. How long does a battery last with live view, long exposures, etc.
thank you, nicely done.
Nancy
The D3000 those were shot with did not have live view, so I couldn't tell you how long it lasts with that but I've never actually HAD to charge it because it died. The battery lasted a long time.
I will post the settings after work since I'll have to look them up. :)

Please remove the dust from photos because it destroy all of good impression that Your photos can make. Those are very good actually!
A little improvement can be done on the first one in area of vertical lines correction (there is slight distortion or just consequence of keeping lens a little bit upturned).
Additionally You can try regaining some more details from the brightest parts of the photo but in night shots its difficult to achieve in single exposure.
I since got a new camera and it is completely dust free. Thanks for the advice! I will remember it. :)

Looks great. I agree that the near shore should be cropped out, I find the angle of said shore throws off the composition.

Very nice shot I like it. Also agree with tirediron.

Thanks everyone! I straightened the first one out, and cropped the shoreline out. It looks much cleaner without the shore in my opinion. What about the bridge shot that I posted above?

Detroit Skyline - Cropped by Austin Rajki, on Flickr

Edit: The settings for the skyline shot were: 20 Second exposure, f/8, ISO 100

Bridge: 15 second exposure, f/8, ISO 200

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! I straightened the first one out, and cropped the shoreline out. It looks much cleaner without the shore in my opinion. What about the bridge shot that I posted above?

Detroit Skyline - Cropped by Austin Rajki, on Flickr

Edit: The settings for the skyline shot were: 20 Second exposure, f/8, ISO 100

Bridge: 15 second exposure, f/8, ISO 200

I really love that edit. Makes all the difference, the only thing I would do in addition is to use a spot removal tool on that sensor dust.

As for the second photo, another outstanding photo. The horizon is centered, but it works in this context as the reflection of the lights in the water is essential. I also like the aspect ratio you cropped to.

I like both versions of the first one, but agreed that there are a couple of dust spots on that need cleaned up on the left side in the sky.

On the second one, I like it but would suggest a change of aperture with that shutterspeed to see about helping with the blown out moon and to see what it will do with the other lighting.

Most reactions

Back