First Time Tripod Buyer

kanadierin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

My photography instructor was talking about tripods today and I was wondering if anyone had any preferences. Any I should stay away from? He mentioned round, sturdy legs, and not to get the C shaped ones. Any suggestions? I'm going to poke around a few stores this weekend just to get an idea of what is out there, but if you have any comments they would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

kanadierin

I just bought a Amvona Dynatran of ebay for 75 bux and when I got it I was really impressed.thing wieghs like 12 pounds or something and is built like a rock.Has a ball head,pistol grip and height of like 71" I think.Go check them out and dont use their buy it now if you want one ,just find one on auction and snipe it cheap.There are better tripods for sure and you will pay for them but if you have a budget check out amvona.:thumbup:
be sure to sift through the reviews and find what your looking for.:thumbup:

Welcome to the forum.

You can't really go wrong with a Bogen/Manfrotto...but they are not cheap.

You can get something that is sturdy...but it will be heavy. Carbon fibre tripods cam be pretty sturdy and light...but they are really expensive.

What's your budget?

Mid and high level photo tripods come separate from the head...which means you can get a head that suits you...but also means that you have to buy the head or the legs won't do you much good. Ball heads are easy and quick...but may not be as precise as three way heads. Pistol grip ball heads are pretty cool...but they are not cheap. What ever you do, make sure that you get a head with quick release.

I have a bogen for video , too flippin heavy for wildlife & packing thru the brush. I bought a slik u212 nice and light to pack and removable mounting post so I can switch cameras very quickly thats a big plus.

I don't have a budget yet - I'm just gathering ideas for now. I guess my budget could be called "student" lol

I plan on using it just for personal/hobby use. I'm most likely to use it for portraits in my own home (large family always asking for them...). I don't do much photography that requires carrying it with me.

kanadierin

check out ebay if you want to get one with a ball head....they are a lot cheaper on ebay.....if you are just looking for a stand with quick release and 3 way adjustment.....any store should have it at reasonable price ($30-40)

I was thinking of getting a ball head, but I have no idea what brands I should look at - are any definite no-no's?

I was thinking of getting a ball head, but I have no idea what brands I should look at - are any definite no-no's?

i dont think it makes any major difference as to what brand to get...but of course there are good brands that you can get with extra bucks...but i would just grap whatever feels right.....you are not using it for day to day shooting...so quality should is not important as long as you get something decent.........check out ebay...you can get a tripod with ball head around 60-80..reasonbly good compare to street price.......i would definitely get one......or...get a 3-way adjustable head with quick release...and then get an extra ball head for $20 to add on top...then you have the flexiblity of using both on one tripod

I wouldn't want to know what shipping would cost for a tripod...if you can buy locally, it will probably be better for you. You can get by, with a cheap $30-$40 tripod...probably made of plastic and thin aluminium...but if you can afford a good one...you won't be sorry.

or...get a 3-way adjustable head with quick release...and then get an extra ball head for $20 to add on top...then you have the flexiblity of using both on one tripod
:scratch: That's pretty strange...and not really necessary. Note that the screw threads on the top or the QR plate...are not the same size as the one on the bottom of a tripod head.

I don't buy that jazz about them having to have round legs and be heavy or expensive. It's a myth.

I have a Slik U8000, and have never wanted anything heavier, sturdier, or more expensive.

To me, tripods are kind of like point & shoot cameras: If it is light & easy to carry, you will use it more. If it is heavy (as all the affordable Bogen ones are) you will leave it at home, except when you think you REALLY need it.

A big part of it is design. The Bogen ones have to be heavy, because they don't have any bracing. They have big heavy heads & latches, and big heavy legs. A lot of the other designs use lightweight heads, no latches, but with bracing. You don't need to spend more than $60-75.

For me the tripod was something I wasn't going to go cheapo route on. I have a decent mid level Bogen/manfrotto and a ball head. Its heavy...but really solid. I made a padded strap that connects to head and goes down to the legs and I take it with me everytime I go out shooting. I doubt i'll ever have to replace it. My friend bought a cheaper one for 60...broke it after 2 years. then bought one like mine. If you want something you wont' need to replace for years, spend the money now and save it long term.

Here are the links to what i have.
Tripod legs
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...321&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

Tripod Head (looks to be out of stock at bhphoto)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...449&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

A big part of it is design. The Bogen ones have to be heavy, because they don't have any bracing. .

OMG Are you serious?????? What a gross simplification.... "All Fords suck because they built the Pinto" type of over simplification. I might as well say that all Tripods with those extra bracing are making up for crappy leg joints. Not all Bogens are heavy.. and they certainly don't make them heavy just because. How about stability and durability.

There are designs that are as lightweight and rated for the same max weight capacity that don't have that same bracing. Perhaps the design intention was to eliminate the bracing all together and put the quality into the leg joints. Why??? How about the ability to achieve a 4inch "or less" minimum height position for one...

Not all Bogens are heavy...
Some in the Digi series better quality, same weight, and more max capacity than your beloved Slik.

With that out of the way....

Don't buy a bogen just to get one... Don't buy anything just because. There are many many options out there for a wide range of applications and price. You simply need to go see them in person and decide if it fits your needs. For starters:

* make sure max capacity is enough for your heaviest of equipment.
* With the tripod set and something mounted on it, lightly wiggle the tripod with the center column extended. Does it wiggle even a little? This wiggle will be an issue in even the slightest of windy days.
* Carry it... is it too heavy for your liking?
* Does it extend tall enough WITHOUT extending the center column?
* If you plan on Macro, can it get you low enough and position easy enough?

3 way pan = more accurate fine adjustment
Ball head = quick and fast adjustment.

As with the legs.. the head should also be rated for the proper capacity.

I recommend Velbon for lighter weight.
I recommend bogen/manfrotto brand for everything else.

Do NOT Spend too much. On the other hand.. would you put a $2000 camera/lens on a $30 buck unsturdy tripod?

My Full height heavy duty Bogen was purchased slightly used for $35. Well made.. sturdy.. and nothing really there to break.. so consider used.

A good cheapy to start is the velbon mini 460 cx.Although a little on the short side.

Good for £20 ($39)

I don't buy that jazz about them having to have round legs and be heavy or expensive. It's a myth.

I have a Slik U8000, and have never wanted anything heavier, sturdier, or more expensive.

To me, tripods are kind of like point & shoot cameras: If it is light & easy to carry, you will use it more. If it is heavy (as all the affordable Bogen ones are) you will leave it at home, except when you think you REALLY need it.

A big part of it is design. The Bogen ones have to be heavy, because they don't have any bracing. They have big heavy heads & latches, and big heavy legs. A lot of the other designs use lightweight heads, no latches, but with bracing. You don't need to spend more than $60-75.

Now I know you have a pentax so you may have a lighter camera but me personally with the gear I have I would not trust a slik U8000 I have one and no longer use it since I went digital. I used to use it only for my 35mm when I only had a kit lens and used my Bogen for my medium format but now i use my Bogen exclusively I have invested too much money to trust my camera to a cheap light tripod.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back