First time trying out my camera. Comments welcomed.

Ditto110

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
This is the first time I have really gotten to use my camera. I like this photo except for the noise. This is in Ottawa at the Rideau Canal. I went there this past weekend for winterlude. This was shot with a Rebel T3. f29, 30 second shutter, 35mm focal length, iso 400 with the kit lens.

6889249879_60bfc0433e_z.jpg

This is my first try at shooting a sunset. This photo was shot with f16, shutter at 30 seconds, 18mm focal length, and iso 200

Any comments on how to make these better is appreciated!

6889249865_856415bb7b_z.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice; I think in #2 I might consider cropping some of the foreground, but I like the leading line effect created by the roadway starting image left lower corner.

f/29?

Are you aware of the focus softening effects of diffraction, which starts at about f/11 or so?

f/29?

Are you aware of the focus softening effects of diffraction, which starts at about f/11 or so?

Nope. All I knew (or thought, rather) was that higher aperture means higher DOF, and I wanted DOF for that shot. That's something for me to look into though!

f/29?

Nope. All I knew (or thought, rather) was that higher aperture means higher DOF, and I wanted DOF for that shot. That's something for me to look into though!

You're right, higher aperture does gove higher DOF, but there's no free lunch. Above f/11, as Keith mentions, diffraction starts to appear, and the fine detail gets blurred more and more. So there is a trade-off, how important is it to get deep DOF? If that trumps fine detail, then do it. If the fine detail IS important, then back off on the aperture. The effects of diffraction are less pronounced with larger sensors, so a full-frame sensor will show less diffraction (with the same lens and other settings) compared to your crop sensor. And DOF is related to focal length as well... So as a photographer, you're balancing the various effects to achieve your result.

Shots look decent. Not really much to do better.

I prefer the more accurate terms, smaller aperture (f/29 is a smaller number than f/11 is, because they are fractions) and depth-of-field is deeper with a smaller lens aperture.

Thanks guys. I never knew that about the aperature, definitely something I'll keep in mind from now on. I still have a lot of things to read up on I guess :lol:.

Most reactions

Back