First time wanting to do a print - questions

BrentC

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a couple photos that a family member wants prints for and I would like to do this right. Until now I have not thought of making prints so I have no experience. Here are some questions I have:

1) From what I understand the best way is to see if I can get the printer file from whoever I am getting to do the print so I can softproof within Lightroom. This way I will actually see on the monitor what it would actually look like when printed and re-edit if necessary. Is this correct?

2) The type of medium. What to print it on. I am not sure of all the options and which would be best suited.

3) Can anybody recommend a good print shop in the GTA?

Here are the two photos she wants done, she loves snails. A glossy print would be best for these two?

Grove Snail by Brent Cameron, on Flickr

Grove Snail by Brent Cameron, on Flickr

I would actually print this on metal rather than paper. Soft-proofing will get you into the ball park, but if your monitor isn't dialed in colour-wise, loading printer profiles won't do you a lot of good. As far as labs, I don't know about the GTA specifically, but the lab I use, Technicare out of Edmonton now has a consumer division, and their work has always been top quality.

My monitor is calibrated. The question I have concerning the monitor is that I bought one that does the full sRGB gamut but not AdobeRGB. Will this be an issue with soft proofing? I could always use my buddy's system if it would be better.
So when soft proofing I would also have to specify the medium along with the printer profile, metal if thats what I decide to do?

Most reactions

Back