First time with the new hassy :)

Unlimited Funds?
I'm a student who works as a photographer. Every dollar I've spent on photography equipment I've made from the following:
1.Paid Photoshoots
2.Buying and reselling equipment.
3.Selling my car that I spent my whole life working for prior to photography.

Before you go accusing someone of unlimited funds, think twice.I ask for C&C because I've found that it has helped me get where I am today. I defend the pale look, because that IS what I was going for. I am an ambitious photographer who is willing to do everything and anything to make it in the tough industry of fashion. I've gotten plenty of useful critiques over the past couple months that have helped me out.
And thanks for saying my pic looks like "crap". I don't think anyones work deserves a comment like that, or the word "atrocious"

:thumbup:

So now you know what it's like to deal with jealous people here :grumpy:

But I do have a question. If you will do anything and everything to make it in fashion photography, what are you doing in San Diego? I could be wrong of course but I've never heard of San Diego as important to fashion.

As I was telling someone else recently, aspiring fashion photogs used to go to Milan, Italy, fashion capital of the world, to apprentice. I do not know if this still true because I hate fashion. And although I love fashion photography, I don't keep up with it like I once used to.

Anyway, this is my way of saying save your money to help you survive as an assistant for a few years in the right place instead of spending it on gear you really don't need in the wrong place.

And btw, changing your avatar may help avoid the kind of post you just got. Image is a big part of photography and I would think, even more so in the fashion world.

As I said first time with my medium format. C&C please. Will have more to come but this is the first edit I did.

I'm not a fan of the desaturation/lighting of the shadows. Instead of making him look pale, like you intended, I feel like he looks gray instead, which is not a natural skin color. I don't think editing was the answer here, perhaps his makeup could have been lighter then his usual skin tone and then post-processed in whatever way you would have liked after the fact.

Usually if you see an edit like this it's trying to be more vintage (usually desaturated and then a color is added) but this picture makes me feel your trying going for a more magazine ad look. Because of that, the desaturation is more noticeable, you see more pro fashion ads that have true blacks and bold color.

In fact, I think you should try just desaturating the background (since you like the look) but keep his clothing a true black and fiddle a bit more with your editing program to get a color of skin that is more natural.

The first thing I did notice was the fact that you didn't fix the line of skin that goes from the top of his nose to the nostril. Personally if I had taken it I would have smoothed it out, but if you're making a statement about airbrushing in photography then I'm down.

Anyway, I hope you don't take offense to anything I said, I was just trying to be objective and give my true opinion. I do think the composition is great and I like the model's pose.

It is a guy. This is an androgeny themed shoot. And The picture is overexposed whenever I upload it to this site for some reason.

I don't prefer the edit that was done. The contrast is perfect on my monitor. It has been de-saturated because I wanted it to be.

Early, atrocious is a pretty strong word, and I don't think this picture deserves that at all. Considering the desaturation was done on purpose.

And pale is the thing in fashion. Pale is in. Go take a look at some french or italian vogues. This is by far no poorly styled glamour shoot where the model is overly warm.
I must be one of those new fads I wouldn't mind seeing running it's course (like heavy eye make up:grumpy:)

It is your photo, of course, but my choice would be to desaturate it even more, or put back some of the color.

Cloudwalker-
I'm in San Diego because I'm stuck here finishing my degree as a civil engineer. Every photographer needs a backup plan right :) . As soon as I graduate I plan to either go to New York, France, or LA. Hopefully France!

Here is another shot with the hassy:

gav2.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back