First try at maternity photos

jake337

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
She must have asked me when I was drinking because I usually say no to any and all photo shoots. Especially a maternity shoot.

2016-05-01_01-08-12.jpg
2016-05-01_12-09-23.jpg
2016-05-01_12-07-33.jpg

Last edited:
I think overall this these are a nice set for a first attempt; a few thoughts: The main issue IMO is your choice of location. It really doesn't seem to suit the occasion. In #1 I see a couple of things; one is the shadow which appears to "grow" out of her head across the water and the other is your angle. Generally for materinity work we want to shoot lower in order to accentuate the pregnancy. The higher angle is one often used to minimize the size of larger clients and IMO, is counter-productive.

#2 has beautiful light (and I'm not a huge fan of flare); I would crop a bit of the top, just to get rid of that bright, white sky. Again, I think you could have been a little lower, but the angle isn't bad. The ground water however is returning bright/blown highlights and pulling the eye away from the subject. I would be tempted to burn a lot of this in/clone it out to reduce the highlights around her. The last one has nice light and a great expression. You've got a lovely rimlight on her hair, but again, the highlights from the water are hurting the image.

I think overall this these are a nice set for a first attempt; a few thoughts: The main issue IMO is your choice of location. It really doesn't seem to suit the occasion. In #1 I see a couple of things; one is the shadow which appears to "grow" out of her head across the water and the other is your angle. Generally for materinity work we want to shoot lower in order to accentuate the pregnancy. The higher angle is one often used to minimize the size of larger clients and IMO, is counter-productive.

#2 has beautiful light (and I'm not a huge fan of flare); I would crop a bit of the top, just to get rid of that bright, white sky. Again, I think you could have been a little lower, but the angle isn't bad. The ground water however is returning bright/blown highlights and pulling the eye away from the subject. I would be tempted to burn a lot of this in/clone it out to reduce the highlights around her. The last one has nice light and a great expression. You've got a lovely rimlight on her hair, but again, the highlights from the water are hurting the image.

Thanks for stopping in and offering advice.

I'd prefer a natural pose, no one walks around carrying their abdomen. She looks like she is in pain.
Just a personal preference though.

Yeah, Jake, I'm going to have to ask you to surrender your "man" card.

You can turn it in at any Home Depot, Lowe's, or Menard's

I'd prefer a natural pose, no one walks around carrying their abdomen.
Just a personal preference though.
If it weighed about 30 pounds you might.

I am very impressed with the background of shot number one, and by the way it was rendered by the lens--really,really a cool background--except for one, small thing, which is the way the tree reflection connects to her hair. That bugs me a bit. I'd clone that out since on ly a real photography nut would question where the tree's reflection went. I think #3 needs more lower-tone contrast....just needs a bit more punch, and a slightly deeper black point somewhere; I used to work in this type of silvery-gray kinda mood a long time ago, and found that GRAY matte board around an image like this makes it look better, and the all-whiote TPF environment really makes this type of shot look washed out.

Huh? It's not about the man card. I just have no clue on posing a pregnant woman.

Last edited:

Huh? It's not about the man card. I just have no clue on posing a pregnant woman.
It's usually women who photograph pregnant women. And who really knows how to pose a pregnant woman anyway?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back