First try with off camera flash

eccs19

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My first go at trying total off camera flash. Don't need C&C on each one, but a general overall "How did I do?" would be appreciated.

IMGP1226.jpg

IMGP1234.jpg

IMGP1241.jpg

IMGP1252.jpg

IMGP1263.jpg

IMGP1268-1.jpg

There are some hot spots, but they all look pretty darn good. Are you using a diffuser on your flash?

I would have to say #3 is my favorite of the bunch, nice light and composition.

There are some hot spots, but they all look pretty darn good. Are you using a diffuser on your flash?

I would have to say #3 is my favorite of the bunch, nice light and composition.

Thanks for the comments. They were shot through an umbrella, so yes, they were defused.

1, 2 & 4 have blown out parts. #3 I would crop out the dark band @ the top & then a little off the bottom to re balance the pic.

3 & 6 are the best shots in my opinion.

In regards to the flash, all of them are either blown out or have hot spots.
Try turning the flash down some or move it further away.

As Ron has already mentioned, I think 3/6 come closest to being properly flashed.

the first one is over exposed.

the second one is close on exposure, watch your composition, there's busy stuff behind the flower

the third and fourth one are exposed well, there's just nothing special. keep playing with composition.

I like the last two

These are really really really really good. Hot spots are not the end of the world in any way... some people are scared to death of them... it's an opinion only. If you want to follow every rule in the book then be scared of them, if your not scared to break a rule or two don't worry about them.

I'm impressed.

#3 is the best see how the stems stand out from the back ground, other things you can do with a shot link this is take an ambient reading using a shutter speed of 1/125 then take a flash reading to match the shutter speed and aperture, then if you want to blow out the background but keep the exposure correct on the flowers lower your shutter speed 1 stop to 1/60 if you want to darken the background raise your shutter speed 1 stop to max sinc 1/200 or 1/250 don't alter aperture because shutter speed controls your ambient light slower speed more ambient faster speed less ambient

Thanks to everyone for the comments. I did know I had a few hot-spots, but as I did mention, it was my first go off camera flash. I did also have variations of the same pics, but darker. I couldn't decide what versions I liked better. Not having a calibrated monitor doesn't help much either I'm sure. I'll keep everyones tips in mind next time I'm giving this a go. Thanks again!!! :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back