First try with running water

Mole

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Any suggestions with this pic to make it better. My first attempt at this and my first day ever shooting with my Canon 30D. I only had a point and shoot before this. I was trying to get that smooth look people get with tunning water but I have no idea what settings i needed to start with so here's my settings for this shot.

Shooting Mode Manual Exposure
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/4
Av( Aperture Value ) 22.0
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
ISO Speed 100
Lens EF28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 USM
Focal Length 28.0 mm

water.jpg

That looks great. Maybe a little tighter crop on the top, maybe to the high water mark, to keep the eye on the water.

Heya Mole, and welcome to ThePhotoForum.
This is a nice effect that you created to get the "rush" of the waters.
With those pics that show the waters almost like fog, very soft, I guess you would need to use filters in order to let in even less light than f22 allows you to get without a filter, so you can up your exposure even more.

The water looks great! The rocks are on the blurry side. Im sure a tripod and timer would take care of that though. Welcome!

Thanks everyone, LaFoto your probably right about a filter. The sun had already set when I took this and still couldn't expose it any longer.

Dan28607, I did use a tripod but didn't think about using a timer, next time i'll try that. Maybe i should use a remote shutter release. Im sure that will help with the blurryness.

Great shot here. For these types of shots, a tripod is necessary, that will make sure that everything is nice and sharp! It appears that you had picked the right time of day to shoot in, maybe get there a little earlier. Nice work!

Mole said:
Thanks everyone, LaFoto your probably right about a filter. The sun had already set when I took this and still couldn't expose it any longer.

Dan28607, I did use a tripod but didn't think about using a timer, next time i'll try that. Maybe i should use a remote shutter release. Im sure that will help with the blurryness.

Nice shot. Netural Density filters will really make it easier to take the silky smooth water pictures. (They however are not cheap). Instead of the timer you might try getting a cable release and lock the mirror up before taking the picture. That will reduce shake of the mirror movement when you trigger the shutter. The Nova shutter relase is a very similar to Canons and quite a bit cheaper. Others came be found on ebay.

http://www.novaphotography.biz/remoteswitch.htm

SouL said:
I like ur water!)

Thanks ;)

ClarkKent said:
maybe get there a little earlier.

It was in the evening. The angle for these rapids requires sunset. By the time I took my last shot there was barely any light.

gryphonslair99 said:
Nice shot. Netural Density filters will really make it easier to take the silky smooth water pictures. (They however are not cheap). Instead of the timer you might try getting a cable release and lock the mirror up before taking the picture. That will reduce shake of the mirror movement when you trigger the shutter. The Nova shutter release is a very similar to Canons and quite a bit cheaper. Others came be found on ebay.
I'm still very new to this so I don't know much about using filters, I'll have to look into that filter. Where can I buy one of those Nova shutter releases?

everytime I try this I get over exposed. I am using a point and shoot digital. IS there anyway I can get similiar effects with a camer like this?

Most reactions

Back