first try with selective colour

Alex_B

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was never a great friend of selective colour images, but I finally played a bit with it. Not sure if the outcome is worth showing ;)

living_1b.jpg

Who taught you this?
I needed an MSN messenger online tutorial by one of our young members (who unfortunately no longer shows his face much on here, thanks Artemis, all the same!) before I ever only got the basic IDEA of how it is done!!!!
Your home?
Cool sofa!!!

just playing with photoshop, and it is far from perfect ;)

here is the colour version:
living_1.jpg

Really cool use of selective colouring, I like it alot. Much easier to do than you would expect as well, or at least thats what I thought when I first did selective colouring.

It's very easy to do this.

For those who don't, open your intended image

Create a copy of the background layer (Ctrl J).

You now have two layers. Making sure the top layer is selected, press Ctrl+Shift+U to desaturate (or use another method to make the image B&W)

Now the bit most people fear.... layer masks.

With the top layer still selected, go to the layers pallet. At the bottom you'll see some buttons. Hit the one with the small white cricle (nect to the fx)

You'll see a white "mask" appear to the right of your top layer.

On this mask, anything white will not allow the image below to be viewed. However if you paint black, this will hide the top layer allowing you to reveal the colour image below. Zoom in close and use an appropriate sized brush. Do not worry about making mistakes as it's very easy to fix using a mask.

If you perhaps go over the edge and reveal some of the layer below you wanted hidden, just paint white over the area you want to hide. Easy!

You can use shades of grey to reduce/increase opacity of what you reveal too.

Makes these "hand painted" confetti images very easy.

8.jpg

I don't use layers ...

Very cool use of selective color Alex, I myself am an iffy fan at best, but I actually prefer this one to its color version.
Very nice place you have, and clean! ;)

You mean you select and inverse and then turn that to B&W? Much more control with layers especially when you have more complex subjects. Layers are invaluable in my work. :)

its cool, im not a fan either, but you coul use this for a catalog or something , im sure there is a place to use this effect commercially....

Alex will you teach me?!?

and i love this shot!!!! the colour is really nice

Most reactions

Back