First Uploads-Critiques and General Help please? :)

SaqqaraBird

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all,

I am super new to the Photo Forum, and am so glad to have found it! I am an extremely ameteur 19 year old photo taker (I'm a bit too inexperienced to call myself a photographer haha), and am just in my first 6 months of a 3 year design and visual imaging degree. I've always been interested in photography, taking photos here and there with any camera I could get my hands on, then I finally bought my very own DSLR. It is my baby:blushing:

I am interested in all sorts of photography, and love trying new techniques. I shall be posting photos quite often so that I can get advice and tips from all of you:D. I'm looking forward to getting to know you and being inspired by your work. Here are a couple photos of mine to start with. ;) These are photos for my uni assignment, in which we are meant to try imitate aspects of a famous photographer's work and style that we find inspiring. My artist model is Brooke Shaden. (Mine are without too much photo manipulation like having multiple heads and that, it;s not allowed:D) Thank you for any tips and advice!

Attachments

• $459521_10150930710249732_1593983412_o.jpg
    $459521_10150930710249732_1593983412_o.jpg
    632.7 KB · Views: 118
  • $578332_10150930711569732_228215742_n.jpg
    $578332_10150930711569732_228215742_n.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 123
  • $anywhere_but_here_by_saqqarabird-d522yf5.jpg
    $anywhere_but_here_by_saqqarabird-d522yf5.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 126
I am interested in all sorts of photography, and love trying new techniques. I shall be posting photos quite often so that I can get advice and tips from all of you:D.

Me too! I am dabbling in all areas of photography to see where i'd like to fine tune. Best way to learn. This site is great and full of great advice. Welcome and share, share, share. Only way to learn. Openness and willingness to take criticism will go a long way and help you grow. It does for me.

I like pic 1, seems like something could be better about it...not sure what though. LOL. I hate it when I can't place a finger on it. Number two...thinking tighter crop and lose the vignetting. Number three seems ok, but I just don't care for the foggy/bright look. Just a personal thing. Those are my opinions...no right or wrong..just what I see.

Don't worry though, I'm sure you'll get a real critique soon enough.

What is the subject of the first two? Is it the woods or is it the woman? There is so much competing for what I'm supposed to be looking at I can't tell. A photograph should draw the viewer's eyes to the subject and not allow it to be lost in the clutter. Both need a lot of cropping in my opinion.

I don't like the treatment of the third one either. Too foggy looking. This could have been a good shot had you gotten only her head. The background is too distracting.

Read up on the Rule of Thirds and Leading Lines.

Vignettes can be used to good effect occasionally, but not most of the time.

In all three shots you are looking down on the subject. Your lens should be at or below the subject's eye level most of the time. Placing it above puts the subject in a more subservient position and reduces their importance in the photograph.

Hi im also new to the forum and photography as well.
now im no pro so dont take what I say seriously
I would think the first two photos could be better with a tighter crop too much wasted space in my opinion i find myself looking into the trees more than your model
as for the third photo the soft focus vintage look isnt doing it for me think it would have been better sharp and true colour
just my opinion and as i say im no pro so i hope i dont upset anyone

Find the vignetter and magenta sliders (in different places) and throttle them back.

Good tries at stylish but the technicals hurt the picture by distracting my eye.

Lew

Most reactions

New Topics

Back