Yeah I should have mentioned that I guess. It was my best friends wedding, I brought my camera along to get some extra pictures for the family. I was also using a 70-200 mm lens so I wouldn't get in the way of the hired photog.
So you weren't a paid primary or second shooter, just a guest with a 70-200 mm and a camera. That's quite a bit different than a wedding shoot, where you are the one responsible and under contract.
I bet the hired shooter was tickeled to death you were shooting their set-ups and maybe even distracting the wedding party during the formals.
Wedding photographers post rants about wedding guests doing what it looks like you were doing.
Ha Ha yeah she might not have been too happy, if she wasn't, that's kinda her problem though. I was asked by both the bride and groom to bring my camera. I was the best man so for the most part I was in photos or doing things other than shooting. I just had about five mins when the couple first walked out that I was able to take a few pics for them and other family members. On that note however,
I don't care if she wasn't too happy, she's the one that got paid! If I were the "paid" photog I wouldn't care for one second if someone took a few pictures or wanted to learn from what I was doing. Maybe it's just me but photography doesn't seem like a competitive thing, I'm all about learning from others and helping others learn. In no way did I distract from what she was doing, there were probably 15 others with similar cameras who I'm pretty sure were able to get on her nerves a bit though

. I made sure that I didn't get in her hair.
Oh, the "black kid" is adopted. I asked for C&C, not if you could tell which kid looked different from the others? But thanks for noticing the obvious.