First Wedding - C&C

RealityCaptured

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.realitycapturedphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Another "First Wedding" thread. It's quite a hard business to bust into, needing experience but unable to gain experience with no past experience (if that makes sense).

I worked as a second shooter to an established photog and shot at a wedding where the couple did not hire a second, that way they didn't pay the extra, but I got the experience. And what an experience it was! The natural emotion in people has got to be the best.

Unfortunately, it rained outside and was shot indoors, which was rather tight for a ceremony. Perhaps it just seemed tight since I had to shoot with my 50 f/1.8, as the main photog's primary lens broke so I loaned her my primary. My flash broke so she loaned me hers, fun day.

Overall, I have a lot to learn, but I think I did well considering my lack of prior experience and the equipment circumstances.

C&C greatly appreciated.

Whole set:
Frank and Julie Piccirillo - June 23, 2011 - a set on Flickr

Couple-4 by Reality, Captured., on Flickr

Couple-5 by Reality, Captured., on Flickr

Couple-3 by Reality, Captured., on Flickr

Couple-7 by Reality, Captured., on Flickr

Bride-2 by Reality, Captured., on Flickr

Cake-3 by Reality, Captured., on Flickr

Bridesmaids-2 by Reality, Captured., on Flickr

Details-1 by Reality, Captured., on Flickr

Details-5 by Reality, Captured., on Flickr

Candid-2 by Reality, Captured., on Flickr

You need to improve on your flash bouncing and mixing with ambient. Using flash and putting the subject really close to a tungsten light is usually not a good idea. You either want to shoot with no flash, or bring the subject farther away from the light. OR, turn them black and white.

On second look, you probably didnt bounce the flash.

The main photog's lens broke and had to borrow yours? What lens broke?

I'm with above on flash.
Just wondering what would a hire pro do if u were not there. I know nothing about person but something about not having backup gear just eery. Don't get me wrong I had gear go on me (lenses, flashes, bodies, etc but there was always a backup.

I guess bringing along a volunteer second-shooter is cheaper than buying back-up gear... They're not a bad set at all, definitely some lighting issues as mentioned, but given the venue and circumstances, I'd say you did okay.

You need to improve on your flash bouncing and mixing with ambient. Using flash and putting the subject really close to a tungsten light is usually not a good idea. You either want to shoot with no flash, or bring the subject farther away from the light. OR, turn them black and white.

On second look, you probably didnt bounce the flash.

The main photog's lens broke and had to borrow yours? What lens broke?

Thanks for the tips. The inside of the building had tall, wood ceilings so bouncing wasn't as easy as I had hoped.

I don't remember what lens it was, but the contacts didn't sync with her camera or mine. Neither body detected it, it acted as if a lens weren't attached.

I'm with above on flash.
Just wondering what would a hire pro do if u were not there. I know nothing about person but something about not having backup gear just eery. Don't get me wrong I had gear go on me (lenses, flashes, bodies, etc but there was always a backup.

She had backup equipment, but no zoom lens in that range (~18-70).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back