First Wedding HELP!

HopeNFotos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I'm not only new to this forum but I'm also kinda new to the whole photography world. I have played around with photography since I was about 13 but this is my first big project and it's a wedding. I'm scared out of my head. So here's the problem if anyone can help :)

The church we are shooting the wedding at has a lot of wood work and flourescent lightin, and most of the pictures are turning out with a dull yellow tint. I was told that if I get a flash it will help but I'm completly lost when it comes to flashes for my Nikon D3000. Also need any pointers possible for doing my first wedding.

Thanx Bunches
Whitney A

Oh my.. here we go again.

:meh:

I dont think Ive seen this many wedding threads in this short span in a long time.

...and all Newbies with entry level DSLR's, kit lenses, and no knowledge of their camera or proper lighting.

This - "I was told that if I get a flash it will help but I'm completly lost when it comes to flashes for my Nikon D3000" - says it all. You had to be told that a flash will help with lighting? :Facepalm: A flash isn't the only thing you're going to need. I hope the bride and groom know what they are getting (or not getting). People that are "new to photography" in general should NOT be shooting a wedding. Weddings are for people that have experience and are VERY familiar with their equipment. Do you even have backup equipment? I have a feeling you are in way over your head.

I dont think Ive seen this many wedding threads in this short span in a long time.

...and all Newbies with entry level DSLR's, kit lenses, and no knowledge of their camera or proper lighting.

This - "I was told that if I get a flash it will help but I'm completly lost when it comes to flashes for my Nikon D3000" - says it all. You had to be told that a flash will help with lighting? :Facepalm: A flash isn't the only thing you're going to need. I hope the bride and groom know what they are getting (or not getting). People that are "new to photography" in general should NOT be shooting a wedding. Weddings are for people that have experience and are VERY familiar with their equipment. Do you even have backup equipment? I have a feeling you are in way over your head.

I didn't volunteer and it's not like they can afford a professional. I didn't ask for sarcasam I asked for help. I know that a flash will help with lighting but I didn't know exactly what to get. Apperantly they have seen enough of my work to fill comfortable with me doing their wedding. Apperantly I was looking in the wrong place for help cause all I've got on here is nothing but people thinking they are smarter then everyone else. Gee thanks for nothing

::hands you a helmet and a gun to help protect against impending forum doom::

(Welcome to the forum! May you have thick skin and a good sense of humor. Don't let the inevitable harsh responses to this thread scare you away! This place really *is* helpful! :sillysmi: )

Thanks for the heads up apperantly I needed it..these peeps are quite rude

Do you think your the first person to ask these questions? Use the search function on the forum. As far as a flash goes Id get a Sb-600, Sb-700 or a Sb-900. Good luck with the wedding. Hope you don't ruin all the photos for the couple on their big day.

Do you think your the first person to ask these questions? Use the search function on the forum. As far as a flash goes Id get a Sb-600, Sb-700 or a Sb-900. Good luck with the wedding. Hope you don't ruin all the photos for the couple on their big day.

I really would like to know where you started at. Did just one day you take wedding photos and they turned out like a bridal magazine? I highly doubt it. I have 9 months to figure this out and I wanted some encouragment and help so I turned to photographers who I thought would understand and be a help. Apperantly this fourum is for the elite of photographers are at least those that think they are. I am worried and have asked them if they would ask someone else and they feel comfortable enough with my work to let me go ahead and do it. So thanks for the info about a flash but please be a little less sarcastic next time :)

What do you have for lenses?

How many batteries?

How many (and what size) memory cards?

Do you know what aperture, shutter speed and ISO do and how they relate to each other?

I've already mentioned white balance...

How about RAW format, do you know how to take a RAW file and post process it?

Just trying to get an idea where you are at.

Well Ive never shot a wedding. I have however done a lot of reading about photography in general. That means understanding why my shots would have a yellow tint. I found a pro that has been doing it for a while who is willing to let me work with them. Ive saved and bought fast glass so I'm not trying to shoot in a dim light church that doesn't allow flash at F/5.6. If you plan on being a photographer get some thicker skin. Not everyone is going to like what you shoot and some will you tell you about it. You cant get bent of shape about it.

So I'm not only new to this forum but I'm also kinda new to the whole photography world. I have played around with photography since I was about 13 but this is my first big project and it's a wedding. I'm scared out of my head. So here's the problem if anyone can help :)

The church we are shooting the wedding at has a lot of wood work and flourescent lightin, and most of the pictures are turning out with a dull yellow tint. I was told that if I get a flash it will help but I'm completly lost when it comes to flashes for my Nikon D3000. Also need any pointers possible for doing my first wedding.

Thanx Bunches
Whitney A

Whitney,
I will jump into this one and be as gentle as I can. After reading your post my gut instinct is that you need to talk to the bride and groom and convince them to find a photographer that is experienced enough to take on a once in a lifetime shoot like this one. A wedding shoot is no time for on the job learning by doing and messing up. There just are no do overs in this kind of assignment.

It's kind of like this, I have flown kites and paper airplanes all my life as well as RC control model airplanes. I understand stick/wheel-yoke controls as well as rudder peddle control and flap usage. Would you like to climb into that 747 with me at the controls? I wouldn't.

If you want to do wedding photography I would suggest that you get to know how to use your gear inside and out on the fly. Learn about lighting and the use of natural and artificial light. Find a wedding photographer in your area that would take you on as a second shooter and learn the wedding business from them. Not only the craft of shooting weddings but how to run a photography business. Many a qualified photographer has failed due not to a lack of photography skills, but due to a lack of business skills. If you are willing to put in the time and effort to learn the photographic skills needed and the business skills you will have a good foundation to become a wedding photographer.

Frankly this is one of those occasions where it is better to swallow a bit of pride to make sure the bride and groom get exactly what they want. Mostly the bride. This is that one and only Cinderella Day for her and the memories are going to be there for a lifetime including the photographs.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back