First Wedding Shoot

i totally agree with you, before i even consider shooting another wedding i wanna get atleast a 70-200 f/2.8 nikkor glass.

I don't understand why you'd have an ISO of 1600. That seems so high to me. I thought it would make the photos look to grainy and not very clear.

I don't understand why you'd have an ISO of 1600. That seems so high to me. I thought it would make the photos look to grainy and not very clear.

And this is reasonable thinking, roxysmom.

But like Mike explained, "ISO 1600 on a good DSLR camera isn't that bad...as long as your exposure is good."

Personally, if I had to shoot in this location without lighting, I'd use a tripod and shoot at the lowest ISO that would give me 1/30 sec at f5.6

If you REALLY want to do weddings, you need to call the best wedding photographers you can find and volunteer to assist them for free. Do this at least 6-12 times, with different photographers before taking another wedding job, pro-bono or not. (If you're serious about wedding photography, you cannot let your reputation be associated with the type of work you have posted here.)

I guarantee your wedding photography will improve. There is no better way to learn than by diving in with a pro. Forum opinions are never going to help you overcome the volumes of problems you're having.

If you REALLY want to do weddings, you need to call the best wedding photographers you can find and volunteer to assist them for free. Do this at least 6-12 times, with different photographers before taking another wedding job, pro-bono or not. (If you're serious about wedding photography, you cannot let your reputation be associated with the type of work you have posted here.)

I guarantee your wedding photography will improve. There is no better way to learn than by diving in with a pro. Forum opinions are never going to help you overcome the volumes of problems you're having.

Hehe, thanks that makes me feel better with the volumes of problems i am having. But, on a serious note Thank You, for all the advice. I think the couple will be decently happy with these because other wise they wouldn't get any pictures anyways, but I still wish i did better and crank up the ISO some would've made sense, i just totally forgot about it.

Wow, these are not very good at all. I would suggest some classes to understand shutter speed, aperture and ISO.

...oh yeah and go to a class or get a book on posture and position! Having a bride stand broadside is not the best way to thin her out! Try turning her almost sideways but not quite, put weight on one foot (usually back foot) and turn her shoulder closest to you out to open her up, it will create a nice "V", even if she doesn't have one.

thanks so much for the info, i was afraid to jack the ISO up. I shot one time using a high iso and it was grainy as hell. I guess it would have been better than being out of focus.

As you have now seen, weddings are hard. Really hard.

I've seen posted, more times than I can count, "I'm doing my first wedding, and...." yet the poster has never attempted to apprentice with an established photographer. The result is the photos posted. There are some freak cases that the photog pulls it off on the first time, but those occassions are rare.

Had you shot the rehearsal, you would have been more prepared. Just another reason to go to the rehearsals. For free. Just to cover your own butt and be ready.

And the statement quoted above is also something I see posted all the time from first time wedding photographers.
If.....you....have.....to.....shoot....1600....shoot....it....

Also, if you shot this yesterday, or a day ago, then you should still be working on the photos fixing the things that CAN be fixed.

You wanted tough love. This is tough love.

Every single photo below was shot at 1600, and as you will notice, there is no decernable noise in any of them:

erin0321.jpg

Hemme0200.jpg

HollieCol00418.jpg

kautz0163.jpg

I'm not saying to give up. I don't want that at all. But this is not something to PRACTICE on. If you want practice (and all first time wedding photographers should), you really need to find someone who is willing to teach you. Weddings are a tough gig, but beyond that it's a once in a lifetime milestone.

ELSAPET first pic her face is blurred and second pic his face is blurred.

or is it my moniter?

your set sorry second and third

ok.

nice pics though

must be my eyes

Yay for good advice Cindy! They don't look blurred to me but you know...

And about the 1600 ISO, I do A LOT of shoots in a baby's room that is dark dark dark, but as long as you nail your exposure dead on...it is fine!

Good luck on the next wedding and don't get discouraged, everyone started somewhere!

Most reactions

Back