First Wedding Shoots

ListerPhotographic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'd done pretty much every other type of photography except Weddings until this July just past. The classic photography 'no-no' happened, two work colleagues asked me to shoot their weddings, and I accepted, I wanted to test myself on the big stage. Hey, if I could handle the pressure of wedding shots, I'd be able to handle anything right? :lol:

I felt the images actually went pretty well, some definite improvements can be made, but for a first attempt I was quite pleased.

I arrived at the first weddings venue two hours early, I'd honestly never felt as nervous about doing a shoot before, I'd previously travelled 500 miles on a plane by myself to shoot sports as a student, 200 miles away from home to work at a magazine being an assitant editor for two weeks and I thought I was nervous about those at the time! Hah! Not at all in comparison.

I had questioned myself, not that I wasn't confident in my photographic abilities, but the overall pressure of it being a couples 'big day' that couldn't be re-shot was getting to me.

This wasn't helped when photographing the groom getting ready my Nikon Speedlight decided that life wasn't worth living, and gave up on me (traitor) - I changed batteries, plugged it onto the camera, changed batteries again. Nada. Luckily the groom had a spare flash his mother gave him a few years ago, it worked a treat for some of the late night shots.

Once I got started, and a few decent images started appearing on the screen I felt better, my confidence built and by the end of the wedding I was back to my usual self, snapping away like nobodies business.

Anyway, some of my favourite shots, a few of which that I'd consider portfolio worthy; (Lister Photographic)

$2ztezi0.jpg$3468iok.jpg$50.jpg$37.jpg$33.jpg$f2b37b237f71c92c162d02088a9ed26e.jpg$2b4ebe1464f311f95ca668fd3f864a90.jpg$1ec15a30d35b523daae5e63399bf3562.jpg$0df67213744cd307468d7e8e6855cf08.jpg$0c3bd745824f9f2e74f5705b7d12bc38.jpg

Any thoughts? Happy to hear all criticism, positives and negatives.

Thanks,

Alex

A side note, a few of them I have re-cropped since (the couple kissing in the car) just to make the composition a bit better. I have shown, but not printed/put into an album the photographs for the couple yet.

You may have more photos but out of these I dont see one where they would print big and put on their livingroom wall. I think that is what lacking.

You may have more photos but out of these I dont see one where they would print big and put on their livingroom wall. I think that is what lacking.

Fair comment, care to elaborate more? I do have more portraits of the two of them in the park, with eachother/family etc

Also any comments on the ones that are here?

I have to agree with Robin; what I'm not seeing are the 'big' wedding moments. The cake-cutting, boquet-toss, garter, first dance, formals, etc.

I have to agree with Robin; what I'm not seeing are the 'big' wedding moments. The cake-cutting, boquet-toss, garter, first dance, formals, etc.

I captured these of course, (bar the Boquet-toss - didn't happen or garter - wasn't one) but didn't feel the images were as strong in a technical/compositional sense as the ones I posted above.

$59.jpg$65.jpg$73.jpg$92.jpg$103.jpg

Photos like this... you know.. the ones they print big and hang on the wall.

p101115346-4.jpg

p1054178075.jpg

p839202547.jpg

Photos like this... you know.. the ones they print big and hang on the wall.

Apologies if I'm reading that wrong, but no need for sarcasm.

As mentioned above to Tiredone, I only posted the shots I felt worked the best from the wedding, I got a few outdoor/big shots, but the couple only wanted some at the fountain in the local park, and on the steps.

$56.jpg$63.jpg$67.jpg$69.jpg

Sarcasm? There was no sarcasm.. never mind. Pretend I never replied.

Again, happy to hear any comments - I was hoping to hear comments on the actual shots posted, although I appreciate where you are coming from in the lack of posting 'big shots'.

Regardless of whether there is a money shot here or not, these are... just shots. They're well exposed, focused with good color. Great shots, but they're lacking the feeling and connection that you are looking for in wedding shots. These are the shots that I'd expect someone who is shooting in the background to get.
When you do the kissing in the car either do it thru the back window or lose the bouquet and make sure those outside arms are reaching for each other's face/neck... The posing gives it the peck kind of feeling. There is no connection. They're sitting properly in each seat and just giving a little kiss. Same with the one in front of the car. Place the bouquet on the car or hold it or have a bridesmaid hold it. Weddings are all about love and romance and all that sappy stuff. You want MORE for a wedding, KWIM?

Regardless of whether there is a money shot here or not, these are... just shots. They're well exposed, focused with good color. Great shots, but they're lacking the feeling and connection that you are looking for in wedding shots. These are the shots that I'd expect someone who is shooting in the background to get.
When you do the kissing in the car either do it thru the back window or lose the bouquet and make sure those outside arms are reaching for each other's face/neck... The posing gives it the peck kind of feeling. There is no connection. They're sitting properly in each seat and just giving a little kiss. Same with the one in front of the car. Place the bouquet on the car or hold it or have a bridesmaid hold it. Weddings are all about love and romance and all that sappy stuff. You want MORE for a wedding, KWIM?

Thanks, appreciate the critique. I understand where you are coming from there, I didn't even notice that until now!

And, "KWIM"?

Know What I Mean

Most reactions

Back