First wedding...$?

I think the bag was like $350 and it actually isn't that bad. The wheels are definitely nice though...thats for sure! Now, with all of my gear...its heavy! lol

I like your work and it’s been great watching the progression. I wanted to know how do you like the 1D MarkIII? How quick is the AF for the action shots? Can you see a big difference in ISO and sharpness over the 5D?

I am trying to decide what my next body will be and have heard about the slow AF on the 5D and wanted to get an honest opinion. It’s hard to imagine a crop sensor beating out a full frame in image quality.

Its really hard to say. The ISO performance I would say is equal...which is crazy considering how old the 5D is...the 5D is very impressive in that part. For IQ...about the same, but I might give a slight edge to the 1D3. As far as AF............the 1D3 rocks the socks off of the 5D!!! Ain't no doubt about it!!!! It is amazing how fast the AF is...I was actually out back just shooting an Osprey and it locked on and it was truly amazing what I got!

I didn't need a lot as far as action this wedding but I can tell you, in a dimly lit reception hall, the 5D would struggle at times unless there was a large contrast...the 1D3 doesn't seem to care! I also had only a handful of out of focus shots...the 5D, I had more than enough.

Thanks. I have been shooting alot of inside sports action and I use a 30D. I'm looking into wedding photog and have heard that the 5D was slow to focus. I want to upgrade and want something that will excel for both. I have been waiting to see what Canon will replace the 5D with, but who knows when that will happen. I would think the full frame sensor would be better in low light, but the 1D has a crop sensor and don't really want to spend $8000 for the 1DS. \

Its a 1.3 crop so not as bad as the 30D's 1.6. But I understand what you are saying...just think, weather sealing!!!! It rains with a 5D and, well I think you get it.

Yes I do. The 10 FPS doesn't hurt either. I always worry about quality then you realize what "pros" are using and say WOW. Like you said, you had better equipment then the photog from your wedding.

I just want something that will work really well for both. My 30D is good, my glass is better, I need less noise at higher ISO. I like most others, can't afford to make a bad decision. BTW I will be keeping the 30D as a back up.

Thanks for the feed back. I always preffer recomendations from people that own and use.

I don't know if this makes you feel any better but David Jay shoots with a 1D Mark III. Go to his youtube account and check out the Night Engagement video...he is shooting with the 1D Mark IIN in that video...that was pre 1D Mark III.

That does help thanks. You know how it is, it's expensive. I'm also looking for a couple of new lens, a prime and another telephoto. I'm hoping I can get a package deal.

What memory cards do you use with it? EXT 3 or 4?

My old stock is Lexar 133x and my new stock is Lexar 300x UDMA.

Thanks for all the input. You have definatly been helpfull. Now I have to finish a couple of sales and alow myself to purchase.

Mike,
It's so great to see you growing and getting so much better so quickly! I completely understand where you're at right now, getting your feet wet and falling in love with weddings. It's my passion! Great to see you here, give me an email!

Melissa!!!! Hey Girl, long time! I frequent your blog and I love your stuff! I have been shooting like a mad man, just finished my 13th wedding. I also helped Kevin at his last workshop...that was really fun.

Well, I have a lot of new stuff and I will post it up when I get some free time but for now, I will leave you all with the picture that is on the homepage of my site.

newhomepagevq0.jpg

**This was taken from a wedding I shot this weekend.

Hey guys, man its been crazy! I am shooting another wedding on Sunday, then again next Saturday. Go check out my blog to see some recent work and feel free to leave a comment.

Blog

Thanks!
Mike

Thought I'd update everyone as well. I was hired as a second shooter a couple weeks ago and had my first wedding yesterday. I technically shot third this weekend, but the rest I'll be the second. Definitely was fun and I look forward to the next one. I'll try to post some pictures later if I can for comments and critiques.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back