First year as a pro photographer. Your story

photoentrepreneur

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Thought it might be good for newbies to hear how people on here went from photographer to photography business.

Who would like to share?

Hi

Sorry it's my eighth year. :). I would like people to think back on their first year. Think it might help others.

Best wishes

Olly

Hi

Sorry it's my eighth year. :). I would like people to think back on their first year. Think it might help others.

Best wishes

Olly

I'm far from a pro but as a relatively experienced forum user I can tell you that to get the response you want, especially when asking questions like this, you need to answer the question yourself. As it stands it is looking like a question posed by a 'troll', if you put the time into your own threads then other people will also put the time into them.

A lot of non-pros will check this thread looking for an insight into the life of a pro. One of the pros has to contribute before the rest will, that pro should be you.

Not a problem

I have no problem telling you how how my first year was. I just didn't want to start off by doing a look at me!

My first year was a very poor but creative learning curve. I had just finished one year working and training with a company called Venture, which made me realise that I love photography. My background was theatre design, where I painted and built props.

As part of my contract with my old job, I couldn't go and do high key photography, so I thought it would be good to do family outdoor portraits. I had a canon Rebel, and a couple of lenses. I got clients by making friends with local independent shops and running ads offering free family shoots. I used a local park and peoples gardens for locations. Most people bought the images taken on disk for around £50.

After a few weeks of doing this, I had an offer to shoot inside one of the childrens shops I was adverting in. To make it special I decided to do a fairy shoot. Since it was a bit different (I used chroma key made from a green blanket) I managed to get free PR by writing my own piece for the local paper. It was such a huge success I took the idea around to other shops and play centers in the area. Once I had people invested in my photography, I started doing more and more, contemporary shoots and eventually weddings.

Eight years later I still have clients coming back to me from those days. My prices are higher, I have two studios, but I'm now their go to guy for anything photographic.

It was hard, demoralising at times but ultimately the best thing I have ever done. Did I ever feel like packing up and getting another job... no.. not ever.

The first year I made less than £4000 , the second year £7000 the third £12000 but since then I have always grown. Even during the recession I have made more money year after year. I now do very well thank you. :D

You have to look at the long term while building a business and constantly strive to improve.

I've been shooting since 1969. At age 13 my Dad handed me a camera took me to a professional football game, gave me one roll of film to shoot. It was an adventure. Really didn't have a first year, I just grew into a freelancer, with good years, bad years and many inbetween. During the film years where there were fewer weekenders it was the best time to be a photographer. I have enjoyed it, hated it and thought about just hanging the gear up and doing something else.

I don't think about my first year as much as I wonder when my last one will be.

That painted a wonderful picture.

Thank you so much for sharing. :) apart from the deppressing bit at the end...

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back