Milky Way and night sky shoot

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
These are from a recent up and back in one night trip to the White Mountains. Nothing says social distancing like driving 2.5 hours each way alone to stand 6 ft apart in the middle of nowhere staring at the stars.

I’m a bit all over the place with my processing on these. Haven’t had a chance to stack anything as my laptop screen is glitching so these are all single shots processed raw files on my iPad with Affinity Photo and Snapseed apps. Fuji Xt2 and Samyang 12mm f/2. Most are ISO 5000, 15 seconds

This first one is a bit too purple but I haven’t been able to get it where I want without dulling the MW color.
lake of stars by SharonCat..., on Flickr

Chasing the Milky Way by SharonCat..., on Flickr

the ones without the MW in them were so much easier to process!
starlight by SharonCat..., on Flickr

Lake Chocorua star gazing by SharonCat..., on Flickr

Feedback, critique, comments, suggestions are always welcome.
Also curious if anyone has used the Hoya red intensifier filter for Astro?

wow where did you see this gorgeous sky........

These are beautiful. Nice to be able to get up into the mountains.

Thanks. This was White Mountains, NH - we were in the Southern part of the range where there are a few lakes that are fairly easily accessible.

Nice; I really like #1; excellent job for such limited processing.

Thanks. Affinity has almost everything LR has but just a different approach. I have been thinking of going back to Adobe which I will likely do when I shift from the iPad to a MacBook.

Thank you. I love the mountains. Will definitely be part of my retirement plan.

Thanks. This was White Mountains, NH - we were in the Southern part of the range where there are a few lakes that are fairly easily accessible.

Nice; I really like #1; excellent job for such limited processing.

Thanks. Affinity has almost everything LR has but just a different approach. I have been thinking of going back to Adobe which I will likely do when I shift from the iPad to a MacBook.

Thank you. I love the mountains. Will definitely be part of my retirement plan.
wow very beautiful

Try moving the blue slider to the left and green to the left a bit in PS...then toss in a bit of clarity and dehaze. Still more magenta in the cloud but some selective selections and channel flitting can probably reduce that as well.

sq pg.jpg

Very nice set. I like #3 with the trees standing out against the night sky.

Try moving the blue slider to the left and green to the left a bit in PS...then toss in a bit of clarity and dehaze. Still more magenta in the cloud but some selective selections and channel flitting can probably reduce that as well.

View attachment 190560

Nice edit thanks BD. I did use the dehaze but it didn’t have much effect. Clarity I mostly used a brush over the MW as using it on the whole shot More than a smidge made the MW get a bit lost among the other stars, especially on the. Left side of the frame where it’s barely discernible.

Very nice set. I like #3 with the trees standing out against the night sky.

Thanks. Still kicking myself that I didn’t think to do a pano of those trees and the mountain to the right of them that’s in shot #4! I’ll definitely have to go back to that spot and get that.

Very nice. #3 my favorite even without the milky way. A quick pass with a flashlight to light paint the foreground railing might have been neat.

Very nice. #3 my favorite even without the milky way. A quick pass with a flashlight to light paint the foreground railing might have been neat.

I did do that but wasn’t happy with the results. I can lighten this up a lot more but it doesn’t add anything - it’s a bit distracting and leads the eye away out of the frame. But I did notice that when viewed in the Flickr app on my iPad it is lighter than viewed here on TPF and looks better.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back