Fisherman taking a break at Foot Bridge Lobster

HughGuessWho

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Shot at Perkins Cove, ME about 9:00 PM

I saw this fisherman taking a break and enjoying a lobster roll after a hard day of fishing.
Everyone coming around was listening to his old fishing stories. I thought it was a very picturesque scene.

C&C welcome, as always.

fisherman.jpg

It looks like a painting, which isn't bad ... but was that what you were going for?

All the tourists kinda ruin it for me.

This is awesome, I love it for some reason and I think it would look great on a wall somewhere in a bar

I like the image, and think it would be even stronger if the fisherman was clearly interacting with someone.

480sparky said:

Try and get photos in Maine without tourists in the summer. It's more challenging than you think. We are called "Vacationland" after all.

I dig the scene and the characters. The light is also intriguing. I wish the shot was a bit wider though.

For some reason, my phones weather underground app always tells me I am at Perkins Cove. No idea why.

It looks like a painting, which isn't bad ... but was that what you were going for?

Thanks, echoyjeff222, looking like a painting was not what I was going for, in fact, I did everything I could in post to get away from it, but I did like the way it turned out. The fact is, the lighting was so bad, I was standing in complete darkness, there was many types of lighting, all of which way low, that between fighting noise and the lit windows in the background that wanted to blow out, thats just the way it ended up.

My thoughts, for whatever they are worth...

It's very neat. It's sort of a little confusing because you really mostly see all the tourists and a very sort of touristy scene... but then ... oh wait... what's that dude sitting there in the overalls? While that sort of feels like it makes it not quite work, for me it actually works in a different way because of it.

The painting effect to it is very interesting, though I know you said you were trying to avoid it.

I like the lighting, what gives it that paining effect. It's an interesting scene!

I like it. I couldn't tell you why I like it, but I like it!

I like the image, and think it would be even stronger if the fisherman was clearly interacting with someone.

Thanks, tirediron, your comment means a lot to me. I worked the shot for about 20 minutes trying to capture more interaction, the the crowd and the situation wasn't working on my side. The shots that I did get with more interaction had other issues that hurt the composition. I may work on some of those shots and see what I can come up with.

.......It's sort of a little confusing because you really mostly see all the tourists and a very sort of touristy scene... but then ... oh wait... what's that dude sitting there in the overalls? ........

That was my issue. It took my a while to find the referenced title subject.

480sparky said:

Try and get photos in Maine without tourists in the summer. It's more challenging than you think. We are called "Vacationland" after all.

I dig the scene and the characters. The light is also intriguing. I wish the shot was a bit wider though.

For some reason, my phones weather underground app always tells me I am at Perkins Cove. No idea why.

Thanks, Tyler. Your comment means a lot to me as well.
You are correct, there was quite a crowdy to deal with. But the "real fisherman", dressed as one would imagine him, mixed in with all of the tourist, was exactly what I was trying to capture. As I stated ealier, I only wish I could have captured more interaction, but the crowd and conditions were fighting against me.
"I will be back" and try it again. Perkins Cove and the surrounding area is one of my favorite to photograph. There is certainly a lot of character and textures there.

Most reactions

Back