Fisheye Lens Help

SharonS74

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am looking for a fisheye lens for my Canon T5i. I would like one that provides a good amount of distortion and has a removable hood as this is to be used in an enclosed booth. Many of the ones I have looked at only have the circular image leaving the corners of the photo black.

Can anyone provide some suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Sharon

That is the nature of a fisheye lens. You get the view of a fishes eye, i.e. a 180 degree angle of view. . You can crop the photo to eliminate the vignetting in the corners or you can get a full frame fisheye lens such at the Canon 8-15mm f4 L. Pricey and you will have to shoot at 12mm or above to get rid of the vignetting.

A little less distortion; Sigma 15mm f/2.8 but no vignetting. Not sure the lens hood is removable.

The Samyang 12mm f2.8 might work, but again I do not believe the lens hood is removable.

The Opteka 6.4mm f2.5 might fit your needs, but I know nothing about it's quality.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Let's cut to the chase: There's two TYPES of fisheyes, and there's two FORMATS of fisheyes.

The two TYPES are full-frame and circluar. Full-frames provide a 180° FOV from corner to corner of the image, so there's no dark corners. Circular fisheyes provide the 180° view across the short dimension of the sensor..... in short, a circular image with black around it.

The two FORMATS are full-frame (24x36mm) and crop (16x24mm).

Sigma is (AFAIK), the only manufacturer to make all four varieties. For the full-frame/35mm film shooters, there's the full-frame 15/2.8, and the circular 8/2.8. If you're shooting with a crop-sensor body, you have their full-frame 10/2.8 to play with, or the 4.5/2.8 if you want a circular.

Since you have the crop sensor, look at Rokinon's 8mm. It's also sold under Samyang, Pro-Optic, probably others. The hood is not removable, but it is not in the image. 180-degree diagonal field of view, so it fills the sensor, no dark corners.

Less than 300 bucks. Manual focus, no chip for the Canon version. But less than 300 bucks.

15042372384_4af6fffa01_c.jpg

16329971992_afe44490b8_o.jpg

As Wfooshee's second image demonstrates, the full frame fisheye produces straight lines across the center of the frame. You can see the ocean horizon is straight while the areas away from the center produce pronounced barrel distortion. This characteristic produces some interesting images like this one. I really enjoy using my full frame fisheye. I suggest it is a more useful lens than the circular fisheye.

I just picked up the Rokinon 8mm f/3.5. It's APS-C-only, but it's pretty good. Manual focus, I got the Nikon version so mine was chipped, not sure about the Canon version. The lens is pretty good for the price, but you have to stop down to f/5.6 at a minimum to get anything resembling sharp, it's not great wide open. I found that the focus was off on mine, I still have to fine tune it. It won't produce the images a $800 fisheye will, but then again it's not a $800 fisheye.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back