Fishing for Hummers

CherylL

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I set up the camera in the backyard. The longest lens I have for the Canon is the 85m 1.8 I probably could have gotten closer, but was afraid to scare off the hummers. At first they didn't like the camera noise, but after awhile they realized it was no threat. While I was sitting and waiting it reminded me of fishing. Waiting, waiting, waiting. I focused with AF and then switched the lens to manual so it would stay focused on the section of feeder. Bumped up the shutter speed to 8000

Fishing.jpg

072719_12smW.jpg

072719_18smW.jpg

072719_41smW.jpg

072719_49smW.jpg

Great idea, we have a feeder next to our deck, but it's hard to get close. Never even thought about using my remote. I know why you were shooting at such a fast shutter, but f/3.5 hurt you on the DOF, the high ISO added unnecessary noise, and 1/8000 shutter is still on the slow side for stopping the wings on a Hummer. As an alternative you might try adding a couple of speedlights on stands, in front of the feeder, and another behind for separation. Drop your power level down to the 1/16th range and let the lights stop action. Depending on your flash that should give you an effective shutter speed of somewhere north of 1/15,000 and still let you raise the aperture up enough to give more depth of field , and drop the ISO back down.

8000 is quick! I have been shooting at 2000 because I tried keeping the ISO low as possible.

Great idea, we have a feeder next to our deck, but it's hard to get close. Never even thought about using my remote. I know why you were shooting at such a fast shutter, but f/3.5 hurt you on the DOF, the high ISO added unnecessary noise, and 1/8000 shutter is still on the slow side for stopping the wings on a Hummer. As an alternative you might try adding a couple of speedlights on stands, in front of the feeder, and another behind for separation. Drop your power level down to the 1/16th range and let the lights stop action. Depending on your flash that should give you an effective shutter speed of somewhere north of 1/15,000 and still let you raise the aperture up enough to give more depth of field , and drop the ISO back down.

A speedlight never crossed my mind. Now you got me thinking. Would 1/16 be low enough not to scare the hummers? The feeder is in the shade and I could move it to the sun. I've moved it there and they seem to like the tree. If it was in the sun then I could raise my DOF and decrease the ISO?

... Bumped up the shutter speed to 8000
And there's still motion blur in the wings. Them little suckers is MOVIN'!!!!!!! :lol:

Nicely done.
8000 is quick! I have been shooting at 2000 because I tried keeping the ISO low as possible.

At first I used the Fuji with the longer lens, but way too noisy at the higher ISO. Photos turned out blurry because I couldn't get a good focus. I'm sure handheld was helping that is why I used the cable when I set up the Canon. The hummers are super fast!

A speedlight never crossed my mind. Now you got me thinking. Would 1/16 be low enough not to scare the hummers? The feeder is in the shade and I could move it to the sun. I've moved it there and they seem to like the tree. If it was in the sun then I could raise my DOF and decrease the ISO?

I would think it would be less likely to scare them if it was in the sun, but the low powered flash is so fast that I'm not sure it would matter.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back