Fist model mayhem shoot!

fokker

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Not sure how I didn't find out about model mayhem sooner, but now that I have I will be doing my best to get some good TFCD practice shoots going.

This is my first model shoot, her name is Sumi. The photos were taken in Melbourne's CBD, in AC/DC lane. I took about 200 photos all up and these are 4 that I have edited for now.

Lighting setup was two 430EX's with shoot through umbrellas (cheap yongnuo ebay special radio triggers), except for #3 which had one speedlight at the front for fill and a bare flash behind her head.

All shots were on my 5Dmk2 with Sigma 28mm 1.8, except for #2 which was with the 70-200 2.8 and #5 which was with the 50mm 1.4. EXIF data should be intact for all shots.

I'm pretty happy with how the shots turned out, particularly for my first time shooting a model. As always I'm open to any C&C on the shots, poses, lighting, and PP.

#1.
IMG9002pptiff.jpg

IMG9033-Editpp.jpg

IMG9148-Edit.jpg

IMG9132-Edit.jpg

IMG8979-Edit.jpg

Great man! Location is perfect for the model too. I didn't know there was a sigma 28mm. Going to check now.

Great man! Location is perfect for the model too. I didn't know there was a sigma 28mm. Going to check now.

Thanks man, yeah when I first met her I knew she would be perfect for this location, which is lucky because I was having a hard time thinking of any other locations to shoot at.

The 28mm sigma isn't a bad lens. On my 40d (which I originally bought it for) I found it to be generally an unexciting lens to use and never really made any use of it, but it really comes into its' own on the full frame 5D, I love the field of view with it, I basically leave it on there 80% of the time now. The image quality is pretty good, not super but very acceptable, plus it focuses very close for some odd perspective macro shots and of course the f/1.8 is very handy. Autofocus is pretty average. Another thing of note is that for a short-focal length prime it is a pretty big and heavy lens, basically the same size as my canon 17-55.

Love all of them!
The last on her angle is weird? The the curve of her torso or something. But technically i think they are amazing! good work :D

Thanks, and yes, now that you point it out it does look a little odd, not much I can do about it now though! Maybe it's just because this girl has some abs!

Yeah, my 35L is twice as big as my 50mm. Sigma 50mm is huge too with 77mm ring size.

Great shoot, I really like 3 and its because of rim lighting. Also #2 I think could be warmed up just a bit, skin looks greyish compared to the others, maybe a bit more contrast as well.

Awesome location, great model, those fake cans arent bad either.

Great shots. Love #4. I'm dying to try out this sort of thing.

Thanks. Just try it! I was a bit scared of doing it at first, but I decided to just man up and give it a go and I'm glad I did now. Already thinking of ways to improve for next time.

Great shoot, I really like 3 and its because of rim lighting. Also #2 I think could be warmed up just a bit, skin looks greyish compared to the others, maybe a bit more contrast as well.

Awesome location, great model, those fake cans arent bad either.

Thanks, and yeah I tend to agree on #2 looking now at it again, just had a quick fiddle with it in lightroom and it looks better now I think.

Aren't the fake cans just awesome?!? :lmao: I was tempted to try and get her topless, but there a few too many people around for that unfortunately.

Awsome stuff!

Beautifull model and nice work! I'm not sure if it's meant to bring the eyes to here face but, in most of the full body shots I can see almost no legs? Maybe it's my monitor though.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back