Fixed or zoom?

Reaction score
I am looking for a wide angle but I was thinking if a zoom wide angle or just fixed would be good. I was also wondering if a fisheye would be good any reviews on that would be good

Thanks. Jack M'crystal Photography

It depends on what you want. Usually the more affordable zooms don't have a particularly wide aperture, but a prime wide can have a decent sized aperture. And they're not a lot of money. The zoom gives you more framing options.

I have not used a fisheye, but you should be aware that there is considerable distortion with the common fisheyes.

What do you want to use it for?

I will mostly use it for landscape photography and things like that

Fisheyes are special beasts and, as a general rule, aren't used for landscape much. Their distortion is far more than most are willing to accept.

As for prime v. zoom, well......... that depends on your budget and the focal lengths you want to use.

What are you shooting with? Wide on FX isn't so wide on DX.

I will mostly use it for landscape photography and things like that

O.K., now the question becomes; do you wish to shoot in low light? You can get some primes that will open up to 1.4 and 1.8, if you need that much aperture. Most zooms are in the range of 3.5 or so, max.

O.K., now the question becomes; do you wish to shoot in low light? You can get some primes that will open up to 1.4 and 1.8, if you need that much aperture. Most zooms are in the range of 3.5 or so, max.
Lots of f/2.8 zooms around, both constant and variable aperture. My 17-70 is an f/2.8-4 lens. I agree with your point though, that primes are nearly always faster than zooms.

The issue of light transmitted by the aperture not withstanding, the main advantage of zooms is that you can "crop in camera", but WTH, you can crop in your computer too. Get the prime. Then you can get those shots toward dusk and in shade with a wider aperture.

The issue of light transmitted by the aperture not withstanding, the main advantage of zooms is that you can "crop in camera", but WTH, you can crop in your computer too. Get the prime. Then you can get those shots toward dusk and in shade with a wider aperture.
With the zoom you can effectively crop twice, once when you zoom in on the scene and then again with your computer. Assuming a good quality lens the first "Crop" causes no loss of resolution either.

This is a no-win argument that has been going on for as long as zoom lenses have been around. I bought my first zoom lens back in the 70's and had my first argument about which is better with the sales guy (who was a good friend) about 30 seconds later. A zoom lens buys you convenience and the ability to get closer to your subject (and regardless of what people say there are a LOT of times that "Zooming With Your Feet" will not work). A prime buy you about a stop of light transmission and, in many cases, slightly better sharpness. The person purchasing the lens is the one that has to which has advantages that outweigh the disadvantages. To me it has been zoom lenses for a long time, but that is just my personal preference.

The real issue is DX or FX because there are few if any wide angle primes for DX. As for FX, there are several of each. So, if you are looking for a wide angle zoom for DX may I suggest you look at the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8

I will be shooting in early mornings to evenings (best light). I would like something under 12mm for my nikon 7000

I will be shooting in early mornings to evenings (best light). I would like something under 12mm for my nikon 7000

I have really enjoyed owning the Tokina 11-16. It shoots really wide with little distortion, and at 2.8, it handles many lower light conditions pretty well. I know it's just under your 12mm desire, but, it may be worth considering. I use mine for more interior shots than anything, I would be happy to post examples if interested, but if you are looking for something exclusively for outside and landscapes, have you considered just using a good, ol' fashioned 35mm prime?

I have really enjoyed owning the Tokina 11-16. It shoots really wide with little distortion, and at 2.8, it handles many lower light conditions pretty well. I know it's just under your 12mm desire, but, it may be worth considering. I use mine for more interior shots than anything, I would be happy to post examples if interested, but if you are looking for something exclusively for outside and landscapes, have you considered just using a good, ol' fashioned 35mm prime?

Thanks TATTRAT I could I have some of the examples you mentioned in your post please

Thanks TATTRAT I could I have some of the examples you mentioned in your post please

These are off the 11-16, exterior

Scarborough, UK

5026142702_5e96deeeca_b.jpg

5026134004_9ee510d03c_b.jpg

And shooting interior (great glass for indoors too)

4802487693_b5bf5990ea_b.jpg

Night time, end of an off ramp, getting the whole thing off of 66 and onto N.Meade

4800409153_782e8446a6_b.jpg

All in all, it is a really versatile lense, great walk around glass, and it hardly leaves my back up body.

These are off the 11-16, exterior

Scarborough, UK

And shooting interior (great glass for indoors too)

Night time, end of an off ramp, getting the whole thing off of 66 and onto N.Meade

All in all, it is a really versatile lense, great walk around glass, and it hardly leaves my back up body.

I really like the last one thanks TATTRAT

Most reactions

New Topics

Back